Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbac10 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2011, 09:51 AM
    Can a dad take custody from a mom through a restraining order?
    My kids dad has never really been involved in their lives, until the last 2 years. We never went to court for visitation. Now he put a restraining order on me and he wants to take the kids. The restraining order states not that I am abusive with anyone only that I am never civil with him. Can he take my kids. They want to see him but not live with or stay with him.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 22, 2011, 09:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dbac10 View Post
    ... Now he put a restraining order on me and he wants to take the kids. ... Can he take my kids [?] ...
    What does the order say?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2011, 10:24 AM
    My kids dad has never really been involved in their lives, until the last 2 years. we never went to court for visitation. Now he put a restraining order on me and he wants to take the kids. The restraining order states not that I am abusive with anyone only that I am never civil with him. Can he take my kids. They want to see him but not live with or stay with him.
    Has the RO actually been granted, or has he simply filed at this point?

If being uncivil was grounds for a change in physical placement, the courts would be booked solid for years out with angry parents trying to fight over custody.

Based on your statement that you "never went to court for visitation," I have to assume there is no court order... is that correct? If you have a court order, please share what it says. If there is no court order, he'd have to file one in order to be granted visitation and/or placement - that's not related in any way to him filing a restraining order.
    dbac10 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2011, 02:44 PM
    The restraining order simply stated that I verbally attacked him and I am never civil when it comes to communication.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2011, 02:46 PM

Which State is entertaining a Protective Order based on someone not being civil?

I'm not a civil a lot of time and (so far) no one has gotten a restraining order against me.

Does he pay support? By Court Order?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2011, 02:53 PM
    The restraining order simply stated that I verbally attacked him and I am never civil when it comes to communication.
    Did you not show up for the hearing to contest the RO? Are you positive the RO has been granted or are you simply reading what the father submitted to the court?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 22, 2011, 03:14 PM

Either way it means you can not be around the father, it does not stop you from being around the kids, or the kids from being around the father.

Is he on the birth certificate ? But it sounds like time to go to court and get a court order,

Example, if he is on the birth certificate there is no reason he can not merely keep the kids, since he is legally the father and there is no court order of custody
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 22, 2011, 04:00 PM

You really need to give us more info. First, ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

We need to know what is the relationship between you and the dad, how old the kids are and what court orders are in place for custody, visitation and support. We need to know what is the legal paternity status of the father.

Frankly, I've never heard of an RO being issued for not being civil. Maybe a warning, but not a fell fledged RO. We need to know what you are being restrained FROM, not just why.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's the difference between a restraining order and a violent restraining order? [ 2 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend is stalking me and used to beat me up and keep me away from my friends, he's threatening to further what's already occurred, I'm pretty scared, and the police know of certain occasions, but I am unsure which to take out, I don't want him to like, never be able to get a job again...

My dad filed for a restraining order judge denied extension what do we do now? [ 1 Answers ]

He's very nervous about it because she is manipulating people and telling people she is beaten by him and telling lies to family in other states a out him. She's told him if I can't have you, no can. My dad has called the police twice before he filed the order. She just won't leave him alone and...

Getting custody over my mom not my dad [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am 13 and about to turn 14 in February. I have lived with my dad for the past 6/7 years and I want to switch custody agreements to where I live with my mom. My dad drinks at least 1 beer per week and he is never home until 11:30PM-5:00AM almost every night.I have talked it over with my mom...

Dad wants custody from an unfit mom [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I have been given temp custody by cps of his son and his half sister the mother is a deadbeat she was charged with neglect and abandonment she has gone to a mental hospital twice in the past year, the last time for threatening to kill my husband and I, we have hired an attourney...

View more questions Search