Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RackelleJ Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2003, 06:23 PM
    Strength training
    Hey, can anyone help? I just got some free weights, and I need to come up with a workout regime that I can do at home. I don't have a bench, and everything I keep finding at the store includes excercises requiring a bench, so I have to leave out most of the workout, I am so frustrated! Can anyone help me come up with a workout that would target all of the main muscle groups, preferably with upper body and lower body separate, so I can do on different days? What I have are 3, 5, 8, and 10 lb free weights and a simple resistance band... any ideas? Thanks!
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jun 6, 2003, 07:41 PM
    strength training
    First, the low weight available to you will only serve to keep your muscles toned and increase their endurance. Any size and strength gain will be very moderate. But that's not bad at all if good muscle tone and endurance is what you are after. If not, then you will have to systematically increase weight resistance in order to cause muscular hypertrophy. The repetitions will have to be low, let's say eight or six.

But for endurance and definition, ten or fifteen are fine.

Always warm up by doing calisthenics and stretching before each workout and after each workout. This decreases the chace of injury.

For the upper body:

Deltoids:
    Frontal dumbbell raises
    Lateral Dumbbell raises

Trapeziums:

Upright rowing

Biceps
    Dumbbell Curls

Latisimus Dorsi

Dumbbell rowing to chest
    Dumbbell rowing to waist.

This targets both upper and lower lats.

Major Pectorals, triceps, frontal delts

Pushups

Lower Body Workout

Frontal thighs

Half squats while holding dumbells at sides.
    Don't let the knees go beyond the toes.
    Keep back straight.
    Use a back supporter to decrease injury possibility.

Back of thighs

Leg Curls

If you have no bench, You might try leg weights or iron boots into which dumbbells can be fitted.
    Curl the leg while standing.

Calves

Toe raises

Point feet outward, straight ahead, inward.
    One set of ten for each position.
    This will get the different calf heads.

BTW

Remember, aerobics are very essential as well.
    Cash21 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2004, 09:58 AM
    strength training
    How old are you? What is your weight?

You may want to consider buying a pair of adjustable dumbells if you are looking to gain strength. Like starman said, you can use the light weights you have for stamina and toning, however, I would personally recommend doing as many as you can until you feel a nice burn.

I'm here if you have any more questions.
    KAOSKTRL Posts: 119, Reputation: 0

Nov 29, 2005, 01:39 PM
    http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/Kett...tle_grips.html

Change the way you think of strength and fitness

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you measure the strength of a nonlinear relationship? [ 2 Answers ]

The correlation coefficient r measures the strength of a linear relationship between ordered pairs (xi,yi). Suppose you are testing the strength of a non-linear relationship. How would you modify the formula for the calculation of r? To save you time, here is one representation of the formula...

Training to lie down [ 2 Answers ]

We are trying to get our 3 1/2 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback to stay down. She will sit on command and she will lie down if we are using a treat reward but she will not stay lying down. With a treat in my palm I will slowly drop my hand to the floor and then away from her and give the command down...

Job training [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Ghanaian and completed my Tertiary education in 2004,had done my national service.I have had a hard time finding job because I am told during interview that I have no job training. I did mechanical eng. Ples help me out Nat

The Strength of Samson [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, Samson lost his power when his hair was cut, why? Take care, Hope12 :o

Training [ 2 Answers ]

I have a five year old lab and golden retriver mix. I have a problem with him listening to me outside. He listens good to commands inside but when I take him out or he breaks loose he will not come back to me. I have never hit or abused him . I don't know what to do about it. He knows what...

View more questions Search