Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lacolombe007 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 06:49 AM
    Federal Tax status for HI-B Visa Holder
    Hi,
    I graduated in May 2005 and have been holding a H1-B visa since December 2005. I am wondering what is my tax status for this year ? Which form should I fIll out? Is it possible for me to file my taxes as if I was a permanent resident even though I do not hold a green card (In the past I was filling out eith form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ)?

NB: I am from Ivory Coast so I do not benefit from any tax treaties.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jan 29, 2007, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacolombe007
    Hi,
    I graduated in May 2005 and have been holding a H1-B visa since December 2005. I am wondering what is my tax status for this year ? Which form should I fIll out? Is it possible for me to file my taxes as if I was a permanent resident even though I do not hold a green card (In the past I was filling out eith form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ)?

NB: I am from Ivory Coast so I do not benefit from any tax treaties.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Previously to me obtaining the H1-B visa status, I am in the US as a F-1 student for 4 years and was filing for federal taxes (1040NR)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2007, 11:46 AM
    You are a resident alien because you have been an H-1B for ALL of 2006.

You will need to file Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ for 2006.

If you want professional help on these issues, contact me at [email protected].

Jan 29, 2007, 11:56 AM
    Thanks very much :-)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2007, 12:08 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New York city tax refund for H1b visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been living in New York city for 2 and half years and am currently holding an H1B visa. I filed my last 2 tax returns as a non resident for New York, and was able to get a full refund of my New York city tax. My question is I'm not sure if I can still file as non resident and get...

Tax Return for H3b Visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine is currently working in th U.S on a H-3B visa. She has been advised that she can only claim back $602 of the $2335,62 in Federal Tax that she has paid in over the last year... is this possible ?

Tax Return for H1B visa holder -expenses- [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B visa since this Oct. 2nd. My OPT expired on June 2006, so I went back to Japan and stayed there Until end of Sept. My company hold my position while I am gone since I was supposed to apply last year (Due date was so quick so I could not Apply, but company promissed they'll...

Tax for H1 and H4 visa holder [ 5 Answers ]

I am in H1b Visa, my wife came here in H4 visa in Nov 15, 2006. Can I fill 1040 for 2006 jointly with my wife so that we can receive 13000 standard deduction? She needs a ITIN? She can not have a SSN. Thanks.

Federal Tax for H1B holder in the first 3 years [ 3 Answers ]

I heard there will be no federal tax for H1B holders for the first 3 years. Is it true?

View more questions Search