Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 19, 2011, 10:43 AM
    Book Editing and Reviewing Fees
    Greetings,

I recently had the opportunity to review an introductory textbook on the general subject of communications. Electronic communications.

When I finished, I did a simple mathematical calc. to determine the per page fee for the work. The math work out to be $0.004 per page.

Now to me, this is a ridiculously low fee and I am curious as to how to get a better fee the next time I get a crack at reviewing a book for technical content.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2011, 10:51 AM

The first time I was asked to be technical editor I was paid approximately 30 cents per page. But this was a commercial how to book, not a textbook.

Generally, managing editors have a budget for the editing costs. Its possible the editor was trying to bring the book in under budget or had a limited allocation.

Technical editing is not a lucrative endeavor. But if you want more, then you negotiate with the managing editor. Point to your experience, and that you delivered your chapters on schedule (assuming you did).

Jun 19, 2011, 11:08 AM

Scott,

Actually, I delivered the review 2 weeks early.

Thanks for the advice.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 19, 2011, 11:26 AM

There's a big difference in how much a freelance editor gets paid versus a reviewer. The job descriptions are totally different. Reviewing books will not pay the household bills (and you have to review a tons of books in order to have spending money for Hallmark cards or Snickers bars), but freelance editing can pay well, if you're good at it and market yourself the right way.

Jun 19, 2011, 12:11 PM

Hey guys, thank you.

I don't care if the work load grows to lucrative, right now I just need profitable.

Bonnie and I are trying to exist on SSD which is miserable.

However, I do enjoy reading technical manuals and I have a historical background via IBM and Lexmark for doing technical reviews.

I am planning on opening up my arena to include College or High School Algebra and Programming languages C, C++, A and A+.

Not to mention Electrical and Electronic books, manuals or how to manuals .

Lets face it, it's either find a way to produce a revenue stream or starve and face foreclosure.

Kind of nets it out, but on the plus side, I enjoy this type of work and I finally got my foot in the door.

Once again, it proves the concept (for me anyway) that God is Good and if you make an effort, so will He/She.

The good Irish Catholic that I am.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 19, 2011, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    I don't care if the work load grows to lucrative, right now I just need profitable.
    Your grasp of English grammar, punctuation, and spelling is very good. Why not get into freelance editing? You can get $2 a page to $50 a page (and more, depending). There's lots of interest by writers wanting to get ebooks published, grad students wanting dissertations edited, etc.

Jun 19, 2011, 12:29 PM

Dear Lady,

And I do mean that in the most positive of ways (My Lady raised me properly)

Point me, and I will seek and conquer. :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 19, 2011, 12:44 PM

You can start small and build a reputation as a freelance editor --

Colleges and Universities
    Visit your local college or university that offers doctoral-level programs, and post an advertisement on every bulletin board you can find announcing that you'll edit dissertations. Or consider placing a paid ad in the campus newspaper. Doctoral students have advisors to help them with content, but many hire editors for continuity, grammar, and punctuation. As a plus, many dissertations are published.

If you don't live in a city with a major university (and even if you do), you can post an ad on Craigslist.org offering your services. The site has a writers and editors category in its Services section. Also, keep an eye on Craigslist's Jobs section for people looking for editors. Students frequently post job requests for editors.

Neighborhood Newspapers
    Does your neighborhood have a small, independent newspaper? Many do, and they usually operate on a shoestring budget with the publisher doing much of the editing. Offer to copyedit the newspaper free of charge for a few months. The publisher is likely to be grateful, and you'll earn some excellent experience and credentials.

Businesses
    Contact local businesses, nonprofit organizations, and professional associations that are likely to produce various internal and external publications, such as newsletters and annual reports. Let them know that you're available to copyedit their publications if they don't have a staff editor. Try independent nurseries, veterinarians, computer stores, real estate companies, and craft stores. Any business that caters to hobbies or pets is a good prospect.

Historical Societies
    Visit your local library or search online for historical societies in your city. Contact each one, and let them know you're available for editing at low (or no) cost. Historical societies are always publishing something, mainly because that's their purpose: to preserve the history of whatever is the focus of their group. They usually have Web sites that could use some editing, too.

Neighborhood Associations or Planning Groups
    Many neighborhoods have organized groups that plan activities, advise on development, and raise funds for various projects. The possibilities here include Web sites, neighborhood guides, histories, newsletters, and cookbooks, to name just a few. These groups are always hungry for volunteers, and their publications desperately need good editing. Again, this would probably be a labor of love, but it's great experience and a solid credential.

Most neighborhood groups are registered with the city or county; check with your city or county clerk for listings.

Classes
    Put yourself in a place where you'll come in direct contact with writers—writers who need editors. Even published writers continue taking classes for personal growth or to fine-tune their skills.

Writing and Book Groups
    If you're a writer, join a writing group. These groups form for mutual critique and support, and eventually they all need editors. Even a book group can be a good source for editing prospects. When you hang around people who love to read and write, you're putting yourself and your services exactly where they need to be.

(Personal note: I started a writers' group that meets at the local library. In the two and a half years since the group began, five of the members have gotten published -- and had needed editing help.)

The above places are where you'll find your most promising prospects. And don't worry; all you need is a couple of good, solid editing assignments to your credit, and then you can start pursuing the more complex jobs that will pay well. And you'll find editing projects advertised everywhere. Try newspapers, magazines, and Internet classifieds. Even mainstream publishers use freelance editors, and they often post ads on their Web sites.

-- from the ed2go online course, The Keys to Effective Editing (which I took this spring)

donf, the course is for six weeks, two lessons a week, and would cost you $89 if you sign up through your local community college ($139 not through the community college). Most of the course is getting clear on how to edit; the last lesson is all about the business of doing it as a staff editor or freelancer. Here's a link to the course and a demo lesson -- http://www.ed2go.com/CourseDetails.a...=CW&tab=detail

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Writing an internal memo after reviewing 2 specific cases [ 2 Answers ]

Writing an Internal Memo: For this exercise you’ll write an internal office memorandum to your supervising attorney that advises him or her of the results of your research on a given topic and applies the law to the facts in your case. Remember, for an internal office memo, your purpose is to...

Commercial About Reviewing Servieces? [ 1 Answers ]

Some type of commercial that leads to a website that you can write reviews about service. It's like christie's list or something. One commercial is a lady housecleaning and she's vaccuming, she's always whistling and the lady writing the review says, if she keeps doing that good of a job, I'll...

Deduct brokerage fees, appraisal fees and other closing costs on my taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased my home in Calif in 2006 and refinances in 2007 to lower the interest rate. Can I deduct the brokerage fee, appraisal fee, flood fee, document fee, escrow fee and transfer fees? I paid all of the fees and did not include them in the refinance of my home. If I can decuct any of these...

College application fees and testing fees as tax deductions [ 3 Answers ]

Are the fees we are paying for our son to apply to various colleges tax deductable? Also, what about the money paid to take ACT ; SAT and AP tests? And, th emoney spent requesting these scores be sent to the universities being applied to?

View more questions Search