Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    walker05 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2011, 06:09 AM
    Does mange will cause a dog losing weight?
    I got 2 golden retriever age 2 years old, recently I found that they are losing weight seriously and got mange problem. Deworm and heartworm already. They are having a good appetite but still lost weight and now only 22kg, anyone can help?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2011, 11:25 AM

Mange? Mange won't cause the dog to lose weight. They are very miserable and itchy, but that shouldn't affect their body condition UNLESS they are depressed and/or stressed over their condition.

Mange can only be managed through veterinary care.. You are going to have to go into the vet to find out what is wrong with them and seek a cure.

In the mean time, you can bathe them in lavendar oil and anti-dandruff shampoo (off brand only, NOT head n shoulders). That helps stop mange if the first signs are appearing, but completely curing it? No. You need medical advise.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jun 20, 2011, 07:53 PM
    My first question to you would be if you are referring to demodex, if that is the case then there are some things to keep in mind. Demodex mites harbor themselves in the hair follicles of the affected animal. And usually manifest themselves when the host is already immune-compromised. The only way to know this for sure is to have a skin scrape done at your veterinarians office and let them determine whether demodex vs sarcoptic mange, both of which are treatable by your vet with either regular dips or medications. Demodex is typically more difficult to treat, but nonetheless treatable, I have seen severe cases in which, yes the animal has suffered weight loss, skin infections-caused by self-trauma from scratching. If you haven't taken your pet to the vet to determine is either of these parasites is the culprit, I would do so before your little guy does some real damage through chewing etc..
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2011, 09:05 PM

Yes, the type of mange would help...
    Demodectic is actually the better of the 2. It's sarcoptic that's the nasty one.
    Dermodectic usually only affects the head of the animal or small localized areas, whereas sarcoptic affects the entire body, will usually keep reoccurring and is extremely contagious.
    Dermodectic mange is only contagious from mother to puppy while nursing, it can lie dormant until times of stress.

Both types carry different treatments.
    Dermodectic is treated with ivermectin injection only. Usually with great success.
    Sarcoptic is treated with both ivermectin and dip or baths in medication.

Both can cause weight loss, dermodectic rarely appears unless the dog has an underlying problem especially in an older dog.
    Sarcoptic causes great trauma to the skin so naturally the dog feels miserable and will often not want to eat.
    Cats Expert

Jun 21, 2011, 03:30 AM
    Not an attempt to contradict but sarcoptic mange or scabies is more easily treated, yes with ivermectin or topical products you can buy from your vets office. Demodex can be localized (affecting only small patches of the skin) or generalized (infesting much greater body areas) yes, can be passed from mother to pup. In older dogs usually affects the animal due to immunosuppression, and while it can be treated with ivermectin alone sometimes dips are necessary I have seen many animals with generalized infestations (pretty nasty) it can cause facial swelling thickened tough skin, self trauma to eyes, ears etc.. Due to scratching, pawing. Generalized infections can be lengthy treatments courses and can recur given the animals overall health.Left untreated it can become very serious No sure answers except proper diagnosis which can not be done here, have a vet difinitely diagnose your pet and go from there.http://lbah.com/canine/demodex.htm
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2011, 07:55 PM

I always believed that sarcoptic mange was harder to manage because it is transferable to humans...

All the dogs I met who had mange *severly* were pretty fat. Weightloss, I'm guessing, would come from stress, probably from being miserable...
    Cats Expert

Jun 21, 2011, 09:39 PM
    You are correct in that sarcoptic mange can to transferred to humans; however it is self-limiting, meaning that it will "die out" on it's own because paprasites are mostly species specific. Even if contracted the canine species of the mite will not survive in the wrong host. And yes it is miserable I have been infected myself from animals I have helped treat. (Thank God it is short lived) Any exposed animals in a household, kennel etc. can be infected by sarcoptic mange. On the other hand, the demodectic mite or what is commenly referred to as "red mange" is an opportunistic parasite that already exists in most pets, but it is dormant, much like (if you will) chicken pox or herpes virus in humans. It simply lies in wait to attack when the host is most vulnerable, so in effect there is already a problem or immune suppression, that is when the mite makes its entrance. Both types are very taxing on the animal, given that the skin is the largest body organ and it is obviously the most affected, scabies can cause much trauma, I have in the 11 years I have been working with animals never seen an animal with scabies not respond to treatment, they all did well. Sadly I have seen some demodex infections so bad, that did not respond to treatment and owners had little choice but to euthanize, because of the pain caused by pododermatitis and other painful conditions. And don't misunderstand I am talking about clients who really tried. Demodex can sometimes have a guarded prognosis. So You are also right about the weight loss being from stress, but from other aspects too. Sorry I did not mean to be so long-winded and if I weren't working with a new browser that I am not that familiar with yet I would post some really informative links for you. New PC and browser AAAARGGHH! I only really wanted Walker05 to seek vet help and not to try and scare him/her into it, Proper diagnosis is key, At the very least we have had a pretty interesting discussion.
    Please Walker, keep us up to date on your pups.
    Jax27330 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2019, 09:18 AM
    Sulphur lyme dip and Veterinsary Care Anti-parasitic shampoo does stop it. You have to bathe them several times, then leave sulphur dip on. You can give them small dose of Ivermectin. Both together kill mange, fleas, ticks. Mange is hard to get rid of. You have to bathe and dip many times. You don't have to go to Vet unless you can't rid of it.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2019, 01:08 PM
    This was posted almost 8 years ago. Please refer to the original date, thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog rapidly losing weight at age 9 months [ 3 Answers ]

My 9 month old female pit bull has rapidly lost weight. I checked her stool and there is no sign of worms. Also I was wondering if chesnut's would make her sick. She isn't vomiting she seems a little weak and she's still eating..

My dog seems to be losing weight [ 4 Answers ]

Hi my dog is a lab mixed with chow, he seems to be losing weight but doesn't show any signs of being sick. He's very playful everyday eats well but it seems like his weight has dropped off in the last 3 weeks. I am worried that he's to thin. Can someone please tell me what I can do to help him...

Dog losing weight rapidly [ 1 Answers ]

My 14 year old dog, recently discovered is blind, is llosing weight rapidly. She defintily eatss What could be the cause? What can I do ?

View more questions Search