Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dawnarnold Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 04:59 AM
    My Aunt passed away 12/27/07, she was the primary card holder. Her sister is the secondary card holder. Is she legally responsible for my Aunt who passed away debts on the credit card.
    One another thing, my Aunt who is the secondary card holder called the credit card company to tell them of her sisters passing. They are changing everything to make her the primary card holder without signing anything. Is this legal? Can they force her to continue to make payments?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 29, 2007, 07:10 AM
    If the sister signed the credit app, then she is responsible. If she is just and additional card user, then she isn't.

It sounds, however, she is a co-applicant. That's the only way the issuer could just make her the primary holder.
    KMSRyana Posts: 142, Reputation: 26

Jan 29, 2007, 02:19 PM
    ScottGem is absolutely right. If she signed the application, she's on the hook for the debt. She does have the legal right to ask them to produce the application with her signature on it. If she never signed one and/or they can't produce one to prove she signed, then she would be considered an authorized user and would be off the hook.
    dawnarnold Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 02:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    if the sister signed the credit app, then she is responsible. If she is just and additional card user, then she isn't.

It sounds, however, she is a co-applicant. that's the only way the issuer could just make her the primary holder.
    Thank you, this has helped.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Authorized User of Credit Card Account of Deceased - what now? [ 3 Answers ]

Unusual situation perhaps... I am the authorized user on a number of US credit card accounts on which my father was primary cardholder. My father recently passed away overseas (as a dual citizen of US and the country in which he died) and his estate is being handled by the court of the European...

Liable for the debts of a deceased husband? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband, John, just passed away from a stroke few weeks ago. Aged 73. I am now trying to live my life with only one annuity that he purchased for me few years back. One of his credit cards has balance of $7,000 owed. Am I liable for it? Will annuity go into his estate? Thank you for your...

What do I do about debts? [ 2 Answers ]

All of credit cards went to collection and total is 6. Can't pay debt since in school and make too little part time job. Debt range from $78 to many in the thousands (3500). Total credit default debt = 13000. Student loans good standing 40000. What to do? Afraid some collection agency can sue....

Credit Card Debts / Charged offs [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 credit cards which two of them already reported to CRA my account as R9 ( Charged off ). I was told by so many people that credit card companies after 180 - or 210 days after first delinquency they charge off the account. And turn the account usually to collection firms. I have contacted...

My deceased husband's credit card debt [ 8 Answers ]

My husband passed away at the end of last May. Since that time, I have diligently tried to pay off all his outstanding debts. His credit card with Chase had a substantial balance. I have already paid off about$5000 (which would have been greater if they hadn't hiked the interest rate to 27%). My...

View more questions Search