Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2011, 07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    WG,

That is why Jesus is called the good shepherd. I'm not too worried about wolves or coyotes because i'm under HIS care. :)
    And the sheep that wander away are not?
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2011, 07:58 PM

WG.

Last time I checked my Bible... the good shepherd left his 99 sheep to go find the stupid one that wandered off. When you are in his fold... you are in his fold. He will NEVER leave... no not EVER leave , nor forsake the sheep.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2011, 10:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    Dave,

here it the thing. I personally never stopped believing in God. BUT.... I have lived like He didn't matter. So which is worse? Did I lose my salvation? Did she? Because your daughter has questions or is skeptical..does that mean she isn't saved? I don't think so..i saw my neice go thru the same thing...she is right where she needs to be. She always was...the Lord showed himself to be true. He never left her even in all her doubt. He is called the ROCK. We are called sheep. I think that says it all.
    I'm inclined to agree; I believe in eternal security myself. At the same time, I really don't know what to think about those who truly seem to fall away. I've come within inches of it myself, and for many of the reasons WG mentioned earlier in this thread. I reached a point where I seriously wondered whether the God I knew was Jehovah, or Zeus; loving shepherd watching over his sheep, or raving lunatic whimsically tossing lightning bolts at random people just for the fun of it. I came through that crisis, but it sure wasn't easy. I can understand why some people just give up, though I'm glad I didn't.
    belovedgift Posts: 69, Reputation: 13

Jul 27, 2011, 08:38 AM
    Hebrews 12:5-10 (King James Version)

5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: 6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth , and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth . 7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? 8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. 9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence : shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live ? 10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure ; but he for our profit , that we might be partakers of his holiness.

Why do we need to be chastened? Well,we still engage in sinful acts of the flesh. God's word is very clear here.

Galatians 6:7-9
    King James Version (KJV)
    7Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

8For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

9And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

This does not mean we are damned to hell all over again. Jesus died for all sin,past present and future. His promise is that we will not come into condemnation.

John 5:24
    King James Version (KJV)
    24Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
    Riot Posts: 130, Reputation: 29

Jul 29, 2011, 09:54 PM

this does not mean we are damned to hell all over again. Jesus died for all sin,past present and future. His promise is that we will not come into condemnation.
    Right, its about jesus' crusifiction
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 30, 2011, 06:46 AM

And Jesus the good Shepherd left the 99 to find the one. But it appears the one wanted to be found and was willing to go back.

Many of the sheep today, run away, hide and refuse to go back
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2011, 10:55 PM

In my faith, Roman Catholic, you may go to confession and confess your sins to a priest. This is also called reconcilliation as you are reconciling with your faith and God. Even priests confess their sins. We are imperfect, we all sin.

The idea is not to continue to repeat the same sins - there is an expectation of true understanding and admission of the sin, acceptance we have done and the expectation we will try not to repeat the sin moving forward. It's not like you can plan to sin with the follow up plan of "I'll confess it later" - that is not the intention. What does your church teach about sin and forgiveness?
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2011, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    And Jesus the good Shepherd left the 99 to find the one. But it appears the one wanted to be found and was willing to go back.

Many of the sheep today, run away, hide and refuse to go back
    I don't often disagree with Fr Chuck, but in this case I have to ask: where do you get the idea that the sheep in the story wanted to be found? And as far as being "willing" to go back, there's nothing like that in the story either. From what we know of middle eastern shepherding of the time, the sheep wouldn't have had much to say about it, because if necessary the shepherd would sling the animal across his shoulders and carry it back.

So I'm afraid I can't buy your scenario.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 31, 2011, 08:32 AM

Aren't sheep stupid?

I remember teaching third graders during two weeks of Vacation Bible School one summer. Our theme was "Jesus, the Good Shepherd." We colored pictures of sheep and shepherds, created flocks and shepherds with modeling clay, made banners with sheep and a shepherd on them, made up stories about sheep and shepherds. On the fourth day, the children were becoming restless despite the thrilling sheep-shepherd activity we had planned for them. One little boy piped up, "Can we get past this sheep and shepherds thing and onto something else?"
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2011, 10:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Aren't sheep stupid?
    Ridiculously so. That's why the idea that the one in the story wanted to be found doesn't track; they don't have sense enough to realize they're lost. One will wander over to a stream, then lie down in the water and drown for no reason. There's a reason why they need a strict and attentive shepherd, because only God knows how the species survived before they were domesticated.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2011, 10:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    Ridiculously so. That's why the idea that the one in the story wanted to be found doesn't track
    Like us -- God comes to us where we are and drags us kicking and screaming to His bosom.

Like the bumper sticker: "I found God." No, you didn't find Him; He found YOU!
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2011, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Like us -- God comes to us where we are and drags us kicking and screaming to His bosom.

Like the bumper sticker: "I found God." No, you didn't find Him; He found YOU!
    Exactly!

And to illustrate the point, my oldest daughter has a bumper sticker on her car that says "I found Jesus! He was behind the couch the whole time."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you lose your salvation? [ 492 Answers ]

As a Christian, do you believe that you are "once saved always saved" or do you believe there is a way or different ways one can lose their salvation? Very interested to get your feedback.:D

Baptism and salvation [ 50 Answers ]

What is the relationship of Baptism and salvation?

Is salvation earned? [ 28 Answers ]

I was once told via an indirect, that there were Christians who expected to be saved by riding on the backs of those who heeded Jesus' instructions to preach the Gospel. I have also observed many Christians literally breaking their necks to be in good standing with God by preaching, looking down on...

View more questions Search