Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alclifford Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2011, 05:33 PM
    Am replacing metal roofing on bay windows Can shingles be placed over metal roof?
    Metal is not copper. Also, does anyone know what the overhang should be (for shingles on bay window roof).
    Thanks
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 18, 2011, 05:53 PM

When your saying "metal roof" are you talking about an actual corregated roof of metal or are you talking about an undelayment of metal sheeting?
    alclifford Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2011, 07:03 PM
    No, it is the actual roof for the bay window that has been up there for years (roof on the rest of the house is shingles). Some sort of metal. Roofer is proposing to just lay shingles over the metal, but I am concerned that may not be the proper thing to do (he also proposes clipping the existing metal roof so that it no longer "curls" over the edges of the bay window roof and laying shingle just beyond that).
    I don't know if weather matters, but I live in South Carolina where it is very hot, very humid, and we have frequent heavy rains in the summer.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 18, 2011, 07:17 PM

If it is sheetmetal then yes you can lay shingles ontop of it. But if it's the corregated kind I wouldn't recommend shingles on top without stripping off the roofing. Another solution if the metal is still in decent shape is to coat it. You can buy rhino liner in a can and spray it on the sheetmetal to create a sealed extremely durable roof element. Mostly its an estetic look for your home as to how it blends in or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pros-cons of putting metal roof over existing shingles [ 2 Answers ]

Would there be problems with moisture,or extreme heat issues if installing a metal roof over existing shingles.

How to install metal roof over shingles [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know of any online video that would help or have any pointers Thanks cgreer8

Steps to put metal roofing over shingled roof [ 1 Answers ]

Please someone help this beginner. I have a house with one layer os asphalt shingles, I want to know the exact steps to putting a metal panel roof over existing roof. Thanks you so much.

Roof/shingles or metal [ 1 Answers ]

I have a roof that drops 9 inches in 13 feet. Can I use regular shingles instead of rolled roofing? If I go with metal panels,can I fasten them right to the new felt or do I need the 3/4 inch strips. ...

Can you roof over metal roofing in Ohio thanks [ 2 Answers ]

Can you roof over metal roofing

View more questions Search