Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chudsey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2011, 03:05 PM
    Central Air (Amana) Blower not working - Question and answer
    I spent the last week using this forum based on previous users problems. I had a similar issue to others but not quite. I got it fixed and decided I would describe the problem and the solutions.

I have a couple of Amana central air systems in the house. One did not work at all (no blower, no compressor) this summer. The other worked perfectly.

I had old style mercury (Honeywell) thermostats. No batteries to check. The failed system had no voltage going to the thermostat. I swapped units and the failed system was still failed. (Not the thermostat.)

Took a look at the Amana blower unit. I was initially confused as there were two transformers in the bad unit and only one in the good. After looking closer, it looks like the original transformer was already replaced and the previous owner left the old transformer in the blower (it was not even hooked up after closer inspection.)

The new transformer had a slow burn fuse. After testing the fuse, it was bad. Replaced the fuse - still no luck.

Tested power going into the transformer (220V - good), but no voltage was coming out. (A burned out transformer.) Replaced the transformer ($14). Now the blower would work and the voltage would make it to the thermostat.

But when I turned on the AC - the blower would stop - and the new transformer was making noises. (Very bad.)

Tried a second time with the line to the outside compressor detached - blower worked with AC off and on.

I did some additional checking and it looked like there was no resistance on the wire going to the compressor outside. Looks like a short.

Traced it back outside and took the cover off the compressor. It was immediately clear that a mouse made its way into that compartment and had its way with a number of the wire insulations - including the 26V line coming down from the blower.

Once I replaced/patched up all those wires and plugged the mouse hole, everything worked like a charm.

It looks like the previous owner had issues and whoever fixed the unit last time re-ran the 26V wire to the compressor from the blower without a conduit. Hence leaving a hole large enough for a mouse. That caused everything else.

Good luck everyone.

wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2011, 06:30 PM
    Good for you, job well done.
    bland1145 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2013, 02:44 AM
    I have a amana central unit the blower and the outside unit will not come on when the thermostat is on auto. When the thermostat is on on position the blower works but the outside unit still does not come on what can cause this, I have already changed the contactor in the outside unit and the small oval shaped capacitor.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2013, 04:34 AM
    More info, what kind of furnace? Gas? Oil? Electric? Split system? Heatpump?
    bland1145 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2013, 05:39 AM
    Heat pump

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central Air blower not working [ 17 Answers ]

My central air conditioning blower is not working. Fan on outside unit works but inside fan does not. When I manually turn the fan on at the thermostat it still does not work. What do I need to check?

Central air blower working for hot air but not ac? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, When my blower for my heat/ac is working fine when I have it on heat (from the furnace) but when I switched the thermostat over to cool the cool air came out but wasn't forced i.e. the blower doesn't start up? Any ideas anyone? Thanks a lot.:confused:

Central air blower not working [ 1 Answers ]

My central air turns on, I can hear the motor on, but the tube outside that connects into the house is freezing up and air will not come out. I have to leave it off all day and at night when I turn it on, it comes on. Someone else told me it has a climate control or something? Could it be just...

Central air blower not working [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Carrier Weathermaker 8000. The blower motor runs at a low speed mostly and does not blow cold air with the condensing unit running. I changed out the fan motor control board with a new one and I still have the condition. The motor is not making any kind of noise, but it just runs at a...

Central Air Blower not working. [ 7 Answers ]

The blower on my central air unit is not working. It starts to hum and if I spin the blades (which spin freely) manually it turns on for a few minutes but then shuts off. I turned the thermostat to ON and cool. Not sure the model number all I know is it says Sears All Conditioner on the side of...

View more questions Search