Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fromnj Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2011, 12:42 PM
    Do I need to give my original receipts to the tenants?
    Hi, My husband and I rented our house in NJ. The tenants moved out at the end of April and there were a few repairs that needed to be made from the tenant. We hired a contractor and he gave us a quote for the repairs. We sent a detailed letter with each repair, costs, etc. to the tenants with the remainder of their security deposit and they called very upset and threatening to sue us. They have asked to have the original receipts from the contractor for all of the materials he purchased to make the repairs. Are we supposed to send them the original receipts or just copies? My understanding according to NJ law is that we keep the original receipts and provide the copies of the receipts to the tenants. Are we wrong? We'd really like to know so we can send them the correct stuff. Thank you.

Jun 18, 2011, 12:45 PM
    Do we need to give original repair receipts to the tenants?
    Hi, My husband and I rented our house in NJ. The tenants moved out at the end of April and there were a few repairs that needed to be made from the tenant. We hired a contractor and he gave us a quote for the repairs. We sent a detailed letter with each repair, costs, etc. to the tenants with the remainder of their security deposit and they called very upset and threatening to sue us. They have asked to have the original receipts from the contractor for all of the materials he purchased to make the repairs. Are we supposed to send them the original receipts or just copies? My understanding according to NJ law is that we keep the original receipts and provide the copies of the receipts to the tenants. Are we wrong? We'd really like to know so we can send them the correct stuff. Thank you.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 18, 2011, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fromnj View Post
    ... Are we supposed to send them the original receipts or just copies? ...
    Copies will be fine.

In this day and age, there is no significant distinction between the original and copies.

The purpose of sending copies is of course so that they can assure themselves that the expenses were actually incurred, and that the exact nature and amount of those expenses is as you represent to them. If they are paranoid enough to imagine that you forged the receipts, they can contact the vendors identified on the copies, and double-check with them.

Jun 18, 2011, 01:23 PM
    Thank you much.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 18, 2011, 01:28 PM

From, they have no business asking you for the original receipts. You keep the originals because you had the repairs done. Send them copies and to avoid any issues, have them notorized by your accountant if necessary.

You handled that transaction in the proper way. Now you will probably have to take them to small claims court to recoup your losses. You will, of course, have all of your paperwork in order.

Tick
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 18, 2011, 01:37 PM

Please don't ask your question multiple times. Once is enough.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/real-e...ts-582658.html

It can take some time for someone to answer, especially on a Saturday, but check back often for a reply. We're all volunteers here, and we do this for free, so sometimes it can take a few days for the correct expert to see your question.

Thank you for your patience. :)

Jun 18, 2011, 01:42 PM
    Thank you. The repairs were minor but the tenants are upset they have to pay anything. They are upset because we had a contractor make the repairs and they don't want to pay for the labor. They do not believe they should have to pay for any repairs and want all of their deposit back and they are threatening to sue us. I will keep all my documentation in order in the event they file in small claims court. Thank you again.

Jun 18, 2011, 02:53 PM
    Comment on Altenweg's post
    Sorry but this is new to me and I realized I should have posted under real estate and not small claims.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 18, 2011, 03:09 PM

I've merged your threads.

You actually don't need to give them ANYTHING but the contractor's invoice. Unless there are items not covered by that invoice. It is your decision how to make the repairs, not the tenants. If they sue you, counter sue for court costs.

Jun 18, 2011, 03:12 PM
    Thank you ScottGem.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 18, 2011, 04:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I've merged your threads.

You actually don't need to give them ANYTHING but the contractor's invoice. Unless there are items not covered by that invoice. It is your decision how to make the repairs, not the tenants. If they sue you, counter sue for court costs.
    I never part with original receipts. If someone needs to see anything, I give copies and have it notorized by my accountant.

Jun 18, 2011, 04:18 PM

I didn't mean to imply to give the originals, copies are sufficient, but there is no need to give individual receipts that are covered by the contractor's invoice.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 18, 2011, 04:24 PM

Yes, never ever give the real orginals, you may give them copies, but you gave a letter with the costs listed, so let them sue if they want, in court you can show the judge the costs.
    Expert

Jun 20, 2011, 06:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    i never part with original receipts. if someone needs to see anything, i give copies and have it notorized by my accountant.
    I see no point in having the copies "notarized". Notarization would be a certificate by a notary public that your signature is actually yours.

If we are talking about actual receipts (papers signed by OP to the effect that OP received something such as cash payments), and since the originals of the receipts were not signed in the notary's presence, a notary could not certify that OP signed them. What is more likely, and I have assumed what OP meant by "receipts" is invoices issued by jobbers evidencing repair costs. In such case the OP wouldn't sign the invoices anyway. The only thing it would make sense for OP to sign before a notary would be an affidavit that the "receipts" represent costs actually incurred for the premises in issue, and that these costs were in fact paid.

Jun 20, 2011, 08:07 AM
    Comment on AK lawyer's post
    Right now I only have the contractor's draft invoice or quote invoice with all of the details. Should I provide them with that? All the material was all ready purchased previously.
    Expert

Jun 20, 2011, 08:15 AM
    Right now I only have the contractor's draft invoice or quote invoice with all of the details. Should I provide them with that? All the material was all ready purchased previously.
    Provide them copies of what you have, if you are charging them for it.

When you say "All the material was all ready purchased previously.", what do you mean? You purchased the material or the contractor did? If you paid an invoice which includes material, that should be sufficient.

Jun 20, 2011, 09:02 AM
    You need to get a final invoice from the contractor. And include a copy of that. If you paid for any materials or anything else that is not covered by the contractor's invoice, then you need to include copies of those receipts.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 20, 2011, 07:49 PM

Just remember as a landlord you are going to be in court all the time, evictions, damages, over deposits and more.

Almost every tenant who left home with damages always said they were going to sue me, only a few ever did, only one showed up.

It is worth a few 100 dollars to sit own with a real estate attorney and have a list of questions, get forms to use for stanard things, And when the renter says they are going to sue and you are in the right and can prove debt just tell them to sue, and of course sue first if they owe you money

Jul 25, 2011, 07:59 AM
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I am still waiting for the final invoice from my contractor and I still have not gotten the original receipts. We are waiting to hear if the work was finished yet, it's been almost 3 months since we asked him to do the work. We've not even paid him the balance yet because we've not gotten his final invoice. The tenants have been pretty patient waiting for this information and yesterday they "texted" me yes they are not calling or sending us a letter and they want to know what the hold up is and why they are not getting the information, of course telling me that they their next contact to me will be from their attorney. I am not comfortable texting them back and I am not sure what I should be telling them at this point, any suggestions and would it be better to call them directly with a reply or by mail? I really don't want to text them. PS - Fr Chuck I believe I will probably be seeking a real estate attorney in NJ for advice.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2011, 05:00 AM

Hello f:

You've either got the WRONG contractor, or your house was damaged BEYOND repair... In MOST states, you have only a LIMITED amount of time to return your tenants deposit. I don't know what your state requires, but YOU should. Certainly the tenant's LAWYER will. Clearly, 3 months is WAY beyond anything reasonable. Your tenant's are RIGHT.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can someone give details on these original watercolors? [ 0 Answers ]

I give up the search.anyone know details of these original watercolors?

Disclosing private information about tenants to other tenants [ 5 Answers ]

What if the landlord has disclosed private personal information to the other tenants about me after I moved out, is this slander?

How do I evict tenants? I live in Florida, ex lives in Tennessee. Tenants are friends [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the story. My wife and I used to live in our house in Michigan. She moved to Tennessee first with the kids. I moved to Florida by myself. Upon leaving the home, she suggested I rent the property to friends of hers. I was getting the rent at first and then now they send it to her only. ...

Can bank evict well paying tenants if tenants want to stay [ 3 Answers ]

My good friend from England and his family are leasing a home in Houston TX. He is a well paid man working for a oil company and (with British passports). Landlord fell sick and is about to foreclose the house and go bankrupt. My friend Martin loves to stay there to continue his tenancy (a...

View more questions Search