Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snow_princess Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2003, 05:26 PM
    Food for dummies
    Im fairly happy with my body (if my tummy was a little tighter I'd be superb). I'm doing crunches every so often to maintain that imperfection. I'm fairly active walking, swimming every so often, coaching cheerleading, and the everyday housework which keeps me constantly on the go. However, I wish to feel a little more upbeat yet. I feel as though my daily intake of foods has well.. decreased all the yummy junk stuff. I'm still young enough, and fortunate enough to still have a fairly high metabolism, but I'd like some advice on what foods I should start eating, without having to cook too much. I've NEVER paid much attention to health, so I'm not even sure what foods fall under the carbs, protein, etc etc etc..
    Any advice is welcome and much appreciated for this sugar freak.
    Thanks.
    p.s. I usually only like to eat chicken- should I have a little red meat in my new eating plan?
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2003, 12:06 AM
    food for dummies
    Snow princess, hi, wow! Sounds like you're already doing a lot of healthy things. And don't change it for a single second... except maybe, take it easy. ;)

Since you're really busy, I suggests taking some time out, and treat yourself to something really good such as buying yourself something you like. Taking some time out and treating yourself should definitely help you feel more relaxed and more upbeat.

Now, as far as foods that can help boost your energy and upbeat level, simply eat a balanced diet which I'm sure, as health-conscientious as you are, you are already on a relatively balanced diet, which includes cuting down on junk foods.

On the other hand, there are indeed certain foods that can give you that extra lift of energy when you need it.

First, chicken, which is what you like and eat most often, is great for your protein needs. However, it does contain a lot of the amino acid trytophan which can cause you to fall asleep more often or slow you down a bit, by being converted into melatonin which regulates your relaxed and "sleep" mode. Milk has tryptophan in it, too, but indirectly, and hence, not as much as chicken because niacin in milk is converted into tryptophan.

Regardless, both chicken and milk will make you sleepy at times and therefore, will affect your "upbeat moods", especially if you eat chicken with milk at dinner. (Warm glass of milk and a banana before bedtime can make you sleepy, too).

Besides drinking a glass of orange juice for your daily dose of Vitamin C, drinking a fresh fruit smoothie in the morning is great to get you going for the day, that has strawberries, banana, yogurt, and the like. They have vitamin B's with C to start your day right.

Also, go easy on heavy foods in the morning, such as pancakes and waffles or else it'll upset your insulin level for the day, which can affect your mood swings.

Basically, you're probably doing these things anyway, but keeping the basics in check is just as important as your daily routine.

If you would like to know more about "smart foods", please don't hesistate to let me know, and a little red meat is fine, too. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dry food [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a 2 month old French Bulldog and When we got him at the pet store the told us to mix his dry food with some wet food and I Have been doing this but it seems to give him massive diarrhea and it seems to be upsetting his stomach so I called my sister which just had a puppy and she gave her...

My dog is off her food [ 1 Answers ]

My dog has been off her food for two days

Wet dog food and dry dog food [ 5 Answers ]

Someone told me that I should be giving a balance of wet dog food and dry dog food each week and not just dry dog food all the time. He told me that too much dry food can cause constipation. Is this true? Also, which brands are considered low grade dog food?

View more questions Search