Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    montauk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2011, 12:11 PM
    I have had kidney cancer in my left kidney.
    I had a kidney cancer operation at Sloan Kettering in NYC and all cancer was removed at that time. The surgeon was able to remove the cancer portion through a small hole and leave the rest of the kidney.I have my right kidney also. My creatinine level just tested at 1.9. I love to cook Italian and Chinese. Is 1.9 dangerously high for someone with 2 kidneys even know one is partial? Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 01:23 PM

It is a high reading and should be seen to. However, what is your age. That makes a big difference. It is impossible for us to diagnose on AMHD and any question relating to your kidney function, seeing as you had kidney cancer, should be referred to your doctor. I know you won't find this answer helpful, montauk, but I truly think you should be asking your doctor this question.
    Tick

Jun 16, 2011, 02:07 PM
    Thank you for your response I should have given more detail. I am a sixty year old male and my nephrectomy was a little over a year ago. I am constantly seeing my doctor. I just saw him yesterday when he gave me my creatinin results (1.9). He said "It is a little high, we will have to keep an eye on it" He is a good doctor but many times he has stated something that refers to me of having one kidney left not both. I think 1.9 maybe normal for a person with one kidney but not for two. I am concerned because my Vitamin D level is also very low even know I am taking 50,000 units every Tuesday. I believe the kidney makes the vitamin D. I am sorry if it sounds like I don't know what I am talking about, I don't. That's why I am on this forum. Thank You
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by montauk View Post
    Thank you for your response I should have given more detail. I am a sixty year old male and my nephrectomy was a little over a year ago. I am constantly seeing my doctor. I just saw him yesterday when he gave me my creatinin results (1.9). He said "It is a little high, we will have to keep an eye on it" He is a good doctor but many times he has stated something that refers to me of having one kidney left not both. I think 1.9 maybe normal for a person with one kidney but not for two. I am concerned because my Vitamin D level is also very low even know I am taking 50,000 units every Tuesday. I believe the kidney makes the vitamin D. I am sorry if it sounds like I don't know what I am talking about, I don't. Thats why I am on this forum. Thank You
    Well actually you do have only one totally functioning kidney, the other probably about 35%. I don't see why you feel vitamin d is important. Don't apologize for sounding like you don't know what you are talking about. Your original post was succinct but you left out your age, which is important to know, plus your gender.

I really don't think you need so many units of vitamin d, but you know as I said, we can't diagnose here and I am going out on a limb even saying that. Did your doctor suggest you take so much vitamin d? Even myself as a type 2 diabetic take a lot but holly cow, not that much ! My kidneys are still okay, my doctor has never ever suggested vitamin d, but I take it cause a female over 65 who needs an extra boost for bone structure.

Vitamin d is taken into your body many ways naturally; you are able to metabolize vitamin d from the sun, so our need for a supplement is reduced if we are functioning in the open air, getting plenty of sunshine without overdoing it.

Tick

Jun 16, 2011, 03:49 PM
    Comment on tickle's post
    I am new to this forum I will figure out how to reply etc.. Anyway my doctor prescribes 50,000 units per week for me. My vitamin D result came in yesterday at 19.8 with a reference of 32-100
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 03:51 PM

Get some sun as well. Vitamin D is absorbed better when it is received from the sun.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2011, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by montauk View Post
    I am concerned because my Vitamin D level is also very low even know I am taking 50,000 units every Tuesday. I believe the kidney makes the vitamin D. I am sorry if it sounds like I don't know what I am talking about, I don't. Thats why I am on this forum. Thank You
    Yes, your Vitamin D (D3) level of 19.8 (reference 32-100) is very low. It should be 50-65. What does your doctor say about this low level?

The kidney does not make Vitamin D - it's made by sunlight on the skin, or via supplements. Almost all adults in northern latitudes are Vitamin D deficient. Worldwide, the deficiency percentage for adults approaches 50%.

50,000 units weekly (7,000 daily) is about what most doctors who are familiar with the most recent research on D are suggesting as a regular maintenance dose. (Note that the US RDA of 400IU daily is grossly inadequate, and is in the process of review.)

However, you probably require a therapeutic dosage based on your post. This would be much higher than the average 7,000 daily you are currently taking. This is clearly indicated by your low level of 19.8.

Vitamin D, once seen as only as a rickets preventative, is now understood to be critical in at least 32 genetic disease markers. Unfortunately, many doctors are unaware of Vitamin D developments. So I suggest you get a second opinion, or discuss the new research on D with your present MD.

Here's a link that may be helpful:

What causes Vitamin D Deficiency?

Don't be afraid to confront your physician - it's your health, and he'll probably be glad to be updated in this important area.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kidney creatinine [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir My bro's creatinine is rise 1 to 1.4 to 18.5 & blood urea increase 126 so what should I do in this case how I improve to decrease creatine & blood urea give me suitable advice.

Pulssing Kidney [ 9 Answers ]

Hi.. for over a year now I have had my kidney feel like a pulsing heart, it hurts and happens all the time for no reason what do you think it may be?

Kidney stones [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am a 56 year old male I have crohns disease and a permanent ileostomy since 2000 I have now been told I have a kidney stone and need to have surgery to remove it, cannot be blasted. What risks are involved with this operation is it life threatening, and what are the chances of catching...

Liquid in baby's left kidney. Getting told different things [ 3 Answers ]

I am 29 weeks and expecting a boy. I had an ultrasound done at 17 weeks and was told that our baby boy had liquid in both his kidneys. One was 3.9 mm and the other was 4.2 mm. THe tech and the doctor explained to us to not worry and that 9 1/2 out of ten times the liquid goes away before the baby...

Pregnant with one kidney [ 1 Answers ]

When I was just an infant, I had Wilms Tumor in my right kidney. The doctors were able to remove the cancer, but only by removong my kidney. My left kidney I have been told by doctors has expanded to take up for my missing one, and I have never had any problems with it. Now I am pregnant with my...

View more questions Search