Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KMSRyana Posts: 142, Reputation: 26

Jan 28, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Background on the abbreviation for pounds
    Simple question, really. I'm not sure if I'm putting this on the right board, but I figured an engineer or two would probably know the answer. The common english abbreviation for a pound is "lb", is there any specific reason or meaning to why L and B where chosen to abbreviate this word?

Thanks for your help in advance.
    PunkRockHer Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2007, 08:47 PM
    The origin is in the Latin word libra, which could mean both balance scales and also a pound weight, for which the full expression was libra pondo, the second word being the origin of our pound.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lose 50/60 pounds in 1 month? [ 7 Answers ]

:( Hello, my name is Noemi and unfortunately like many of us I have gained a huge amount of weight.. I am 6'00 ft tall and before I got married I use to weight 148 (I was super skinny and I loved it).. Those were the happy days for me-all of the cloths I would try on or wear fit beautifully.....

Pounds per Week? [ 5 Answers ]

All right, I asked a question regarding biking but this is more of a weight loss question. Currently I weigh about 195 lbs at 6' (5' - 11.5"). I started at about 205 and have a target weight of 175 (-185) either is a step in the right direction. But I am trying to figure out how long it will...

I Need To Gain 15 Pounds [ 7 Answers ]

I Need Help... I'm A Female 5'5 Or 5'6 And I Weigh 110 Pounds. I Am Very Thin. I Can Fit Into A Size 1 Or 3 Depending On The Brand Or Style Of Pants, Shorts, Skirts Etc; I Am 10 Or 15 Pounds Underweight And I Don't Know What To Do! I Want To Be At An Average Weight For My Height... any...

Just looking for support to drop pounds [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 5'3 230lbs and 30 yrs old. I've been over 200 lbs for 5 yrs now and don't even remember what I used to look like when I was 140lbs, which was maybe 10 yrs ago. Its amazing how weight jumps up so high when your not paying attention. I honestly felt and thought I looked the same as I did 7 yrs...

I'm about 60 pounds overweight [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question, if anyone can help me that would be great. I want to find a really good way for me to exercise but my problem is this. I had a c-section when I had my son and now I have my lower stomach hanging a bit , most of my weight is from that are to my chest, I have large...

View more questions Search