Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    satalla Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2011, 05:56 PM
    Can a 501c (3) strictly provide resource information to the public?
    Does a 501c (3) have to fundraise or receive donations and grant money to be tax exempt?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 15, 2011, 06:33 PM

No but they may, I would ask how funds are going to be raised without those ? Does it own investments ?

Jun 15, 2011, 06:50 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    No, it doesn't. I want to raise money to help buy medication for the economically disadvantaged. I realize that drug companies have patient assistance programs, but many people don't know about them, many medications are not covered, and I wanted to provide an additional venue for people. Just learned today that to have a 501c (3) I would be required to have a Board of Directors. Is this correct? I wanted to create a social media informing people about the mission and also provide resource links to patient assistance programs. The only fund raiser I have in mind is a walk-a-thon. Any advice?

Jun 15, 2011, 06:51 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Thanks for your reply, by the way. Just discovered this site today.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 15, 2011, 06:58 PM

That you, to have a 501c3 yes you have to have a board of directors, In fact you have to first create a corporation, have Articles of Incorporation, By Laws and a Board of Directors.
    Then you send in a request ( forget the form number) to the IRS and if they approve, they will send you a letter of acceptance and then you are a non profit, Some states will require you also file in that state for the non profit at state level.

You should normally have your books aduited each year by a outside firm or company. Do annual filings of taxes for the non profit and renew your corporation each year. You will also have a annual statement.

You may want to team up with an existing one, that will help you in this.

Now some states, such as Georgia, allows you to be all of the members of the board, I don't advise it, since it looks badly to the public.

So why not start a board, start telling people of other resourses, perhaps a chat board about what you are doing and see if you can find others that will join in with you.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 11:54 AM

One other point - each 501c(3) must also file Form 990 with the IRS each year. As a non-profit the org is tax-exempt and so no taxes are due, but it documents sources and uses of funds and shows you are in compliance with non-profit regulations. More information from the IRS is here: Form 990 Resources and Tools for Exempt Organizations

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brief account on human resource information system [ 1 Answers ]

Give Grief Account on Human resourse information system

Should we provide more information? [ 5 Answers ]

My wife is listed as a creditor in her ex-husband's bankruptcy (chapter 7) so we got a copy of the document to verify her interests. In going through the document there appears to be quite a few things that were not declared or misrepresented - however it is beyond our ability to prove it. Is it...

Human Resource Information Systems [ 3 Answers ]

Can anybody give me at least FIVE questions related to respondent’s experience in dealing with Human Resource Information Systems in the company:

View more questions Search