Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jo449 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2007, 07:34 PM
    Frozen, shattered vent pipe
    We just discoved that a vent pipe in our attic somehow froze and shattered. It was full of ice. We are confused about how all the water came to sit in the pipe. The pipe runs horizontal for about 25 feet until it reaches the upward pipe that goes out the roof. This pipe that broke only vents the kitchen sink and dishwasher. My husband said that the pipe is pitched back toward the kitchen down pipe but I finally climbed up there myself and I cannot confirm that because the pitch is so gradual I couldn't see it for sure. My question is: How does so much water accumulate when it is only condensation venting up the pipe? How can we prevent this from happening again? Would it be possible to just cut this pipe and put a staight pipe venting the sink and dishwasher into the attic?
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 29, 2007, 12:42 AM
    Perhaps some leaves or other crud got into the vent pipe through the open end in the roof, causing a blockage somewhere down the line; then, over time, rainwater filled in the space between the blockage and the roof.

A blockage like that would have gone pretty much unnoticed until now, since it wasn't blocking any fixtures from draining properly; it's only a vent line.

Try snaking (whatever's left of) the vent pipe and see if you come up with anything (or maybe just pour some drain cleaner down it).

Moishe
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2007, 04:13 AM
    You don't want to vent a drain into the attic. The toxic sewer gases could leak down into the house. The moisture in the attic would be bad too. I am sure Tom will say it violates code.

Make sure what is left is clear. If water disappears when you pour it in, that is good enough. Then either go straight up through the roof, or repair the line making sure it is pitched for incoming rain to go down the drain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frozen Roof Vent [ 14 Answers ]

I live in Northern WI and have problems with my roof vent freezing and causing sewer gas to back up into my downstairs basement. My one 3" sewer vent looks the same as everyone else's but my vent freezes over every time the low hits 15 below zero. I did find an ArcticVent made by Heat-line, but I...

Vent pipe problem? [ 2 Answers ]

We have an old Florida home with one bath. In spite of our best efforts, smells tend to linger after flushing the toilet. Could we have a hole or break in our vent pipe, and could that be the cause?

Vent pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Should a vent pipe go through the roof, or can it vent in the attic crawl space?

Soil Stack Vent Pipe/Stench Pipe ( Smelly Drains ) [ 3 Answers ]

I have a downstairs toilet and upstairs toilet ,one above the other.. The soil/stench pipe connects upwards to above the Roof heaves and downward into the sewer... Coupled into the sewer also is a Gully trap drain to take sink and bath / shower wastes and from time to time , from that drain gully...

Can frozen drain pipe be clog? [ 4 Answers ]

Thanks for being an expert. All the fixtures in my ground-floor bathroom addition refuse to drain. The water runs (not frozen pipes), and the plumbing in the rest of the house is fine. Before it stopped draining there was a few days of water sputtering up the shower drain and/or the sink drain...

View more questions Search