Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mishakeer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2011, 11:47 AM
    How to desilt concealed water pipes from overhead tanks
    Hi guys,

Would like help with this, we have a overhead tank from which water is distributed to various bathrooms and other locations through concealed PVC pipes(cold water) and GI Pipes for hot water. The pipe lines are 10 years old, due to the hardness of the water, we are facing a problem of very low pressure in the water coming out of the taps.
    My question is whether there is any way in which we could de-silt the pipes either by using a chemical or any other home remedy.
    The overhead water tank has a capacity of 1000 liter.
    Hoping there would be a solution which does not require us to lay new pipes all the way.
    Regards
    Shakeer
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2011, 03:32 PM
    You are on a gravity system I suppose. What country are you in, I'm not familiar with "GI" piping? First, I would remove all of the aerators on the faucets and make sure they are clean, next remove all of the faucet stems and make sure they are clear. If that doesn't help, you may have to drain the tank and then use Acetic Acid(strong Vinegar) or a similar product used to clean out water softeners.
    mishakeer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2011, 09:45 PM
    Comment on ma0641's post
    Sorry for the delay, we are based in india, we are on a gravity system, GI means Galvanised Iron, we do regularly clean the aerators, will try the cleaning the stems as well, the water tank is made have plastic,if we do use the acetic acid, will it damage the plastic tank, further after the acetic acid use do we need to clean the tank again or can we start using it straight away
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2011, 09:12 AM
    Acetic acid, diluted, will not damage the tank. You will need to rinse after cleaning or your water will taste like vinegar. Hope it works and let us know the outcome.
    som70hak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2011, 11:23 AM
    Change your Hot Pipe syatem with EPVC hot water solution of Kasta pipes. I am using it at Indore successfully.
    muditsood Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2012, 10:49 PM
    How much acetic acid is to be uesd for 1000litre tank
    Navaneetham Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2013, 04:26 AM
    Hope you have solved your problem. If so please let me know how you did it?

Usually the blockages will be in the tips and not in the main pipes/paths. So all that you need is to clean up the tank side entry, then remove all taps and T valves(exit points) and clean taps/T valves and refix it.

GI pipes get rusted most often because of salt which needs replacements. Now a days PVC pipes for hot water is available to avoid GI pipes. Ensure you use Plastic hoses for the overhead heaters to connect to the wall pipe sockets. This will ensure that the heat is not transmitted directly to the piping like metallic hoses.

Avoid acid cleaning as much as possible, to be safe.
    Hope the above procedure will help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two hot water tanks on same system 1 sounds like its running water all the time [ 1 Answers ]

On a two hot water tank system,it sounds like hot water is running through one of the hot water pipes all the time

How to daisy chain water supply tanks & increase water pressure? [ 3 Answers ]

The deep water well that supplies our home also supplies another small house on the property that my father lives in. Water supply has never been an issue as it is a great well. The well feeds a small supply tank with switch, then there is two other supply tanks that are daisy chained together...

Hot water tanks [ 1 Answers ]

What is a pressurised hot water tank, and how does it operate?

Water tanks [ 1 Answers ]

Help I've turned water of at the mains turned it back on and can't get any water to flow from hot taps

Noise in pipes overhead? [ 1 Answers ]

About 9 months ago, we changed our old pipes to copper pipes throughout the house. Just recently, we hear funny noises when we turn on the shower in either bathroom. First we hear a tapping of the pipes, not too loud but enough and it sounds like it's coming from over our heads? Why is that?? ...

View more questions Search