Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    btucker Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2007, 06:07 PM
    Pole Barn Foundation
    I have had a 40' x 60' pole parn with 6"x6" treadted poles. I am planning on pouring a concrete slab. I live in South Alabama where freezing is short lived and rarely below 26 if then. People do not usually use rock under the slab here. I was wondering how much footing if any I need between the poles?
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 28, 2007, 08:26 PM
    I don't quite understand the question. Are you asking how deep to sink the poles or what distant to space the poles?
    btucker Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 07:06 AM
    No, the post are set. I am going to pour a concrete slab in the building. I am wondering about the depth on the outer edges between the post. Do I need to dig any footing or do I need a deep footing? Will 4 " do or do I need 12" footing?
    Nwptsailor Posts: 56, Reputation: 4

Jan 29, 2007, 08:55 AM
    You should still make a conventional downturned slab footing. Freezes are rare ( there in Al) , but nevertheless eventually you will get one and the frost heaving will easily ruin the slab. Then it costs three times as much to fix it.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 29, 2007, 05:01 PM
    4" of 2B gravel then 4-6" of concrete is usually the norm in the Northeast for a floating slab in a pole barn. Can't see it being much different down your way.
    Around the poles install 3/4" rigid insulation. This will act as a "bumper" around the poles for the concrete. Along the outer area of the post, nail a PT 2x6 or 2x8 (depending on backfill and grade along the barn) to use a outer form.
    You may want to saw cut control joints from pole to pole, if not you may end up with wondering spider cracks in your slab starting at the post then extending in to the field area of the concrete.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring single pole thermostat in double pole fixture [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to install a line voltage programmable thermostat into a manual thermostat fixture. The programmable thermostat is Honeywell RLV430. Instruction manual here: http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/b7867367-6c05-4c82-a97c-648044b91564.pdf The...

Electric in new pole barn? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, We have just built a new pole barn and would like to add electric in the pole barn. We will be upgrading our current 200 amp service to a 320 amp service and would like to put a 100 amp breaker box in the pole barn. The meter base is 140' from the new pole barn. Can we bury URD wire,...

Shed/Barn wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I've got a decent sized shed out about 150ft from the house, I plan on running the cable underground in conduit. But I am unsure of what style/size cable I need to use for a 50A circuit 220/240V. I'm assuming that I probably need to use service entrance cable and can't use 6G stranded. I've tried...

Barn board [ 1 Answers ]

I have ugly dark barn board on the lower half of my basement walls in my rec room. Can you paint these and if so do you have to have special paint for this. I'm not sure paint would even cover all the crevices and nooks in the wood. Any ideas?

View more questions Search