Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joananthony Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2011, 10:07 AM
    Possible bats in the attic...
    I live in an old stone carriage house. Last December, I had a visitor in my office. It was a very upset bat. I have lived here most of my life, and have never seen a bat in the house. Does this mean I have bats in the attic? Since the house is field stone and there are many places for birds or bats to enter if they want to, it'll be very hard to seal all the holes. An expert came to the house, but didn't provide proof that there are bats in the attic (guano). He gave me an estimate for $1800. Seems futile, given the stone. What would you do?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 13, 2011, 01:52 PM

I think it could have be been an errant bat, come to visit no less. From time to time we all get them no matter what kind of house we live in. Doesn't necessarily mean you have bats paying condominium fees. If there was no bat poop then I would say you are safe.

Bats are not all that bad and there is proof that they may be an endangered species. I know they are upsetting to see flying around but actually quite cute, don't eat much and can be friendly. There is a woman in S. Dakota who takes in sick bats and rehabilitates them. Just some trivia I thought I would mention about bats.

Tick
    joananthony Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2011, 02:48 PM
    Comment on tickle's post
    Thank you tickle. I hope that is the case. I know that bats eat insects, particularly mosquitoes, therefore are good, but the poop is toxic. I just don't want them in the house. The pest control people said because I saw this little critter in December when bats usually hibernate, there must be more in the attic. Haha, I'll send my nephew up to double check. Many thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Attic type vent for an attic-less barn style house [ 1 Answers ]

I have a barn style house. The upstairs ceilings & walls are shaped just like the roof w/slants. I do not have an attic. I live in Texas and during the summer, our upstairs is a sauna. I was thinking of getting some type of vent to install in the upstairs hallway to suck out the hot air during...

How do I splice the wires in the attic to put a light and a plug socket in the attic [ 3 Answers ]

How do I splice wires in the attic to install a plug socket

Bats in the attic.what would you do? [ 32 Answers ]

If you signed a lease to rent a house, and three weeks after you moved in, you discovered a huge colony of bats living in the attic and since moving you have also had a slew of unexplained medical problems. What would you do if the landlord refused to fix the problem?

View more questions Search