Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Jun 13, 2011, 10:02 AM
    Drive not recognized
    XP-SP3

I installed a second internal HDD to merge 2 partitions using Acronis Disk Director. After the merge, it showed a single partition within Disk Director.

At this point, I probably should have formatted the partition while it was still visible in disk Director, but had to leave, so I shut everything down. (This is the first time I've merged partitions, so I'm not too familiar with the proper steps)

When I returned to partition the drive, it became completely invisible in Disk Director, My Computer, Disk Management, Device Manager, and Active Kill Disk. I can't find a way to get the drive to appear so I can initialize and partition it.

Any tricks to make it visible again, or did I ruin the HDD?

Thanks...
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Jun 13, 2011, 10:36 AM
    SOLVED.

I can't explain why, but I connected the HDD using an external USB adapter, and it was recognized by everything. Was able to overwrite the entire drive, initialize it, and format.

Thanks...
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 18, 2011, 05:58 PM

Next time you might look up the DOS command Fdisk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My DVD drive is not being recognized. Can you help? [ 1 Answers ]

My DVDRW drive is not being recognized by my computer. Basically I have my computer set up with a DVDRW on top of a DVD drive. One day my computer stopper recognizing the disc drives properly and it saw the drive on top as a DVD drive and the one on the bottom as a DVD/CDRW. The bottom drive still...

Hard Drive Not Recognized [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Thanks for providing this service. I desperately need help on trouble-shooting my hard drive. It has all my data and does not bootup as a Master or accessible as a Slave. I have checked all the cables, jumpers, and the BIOS settings. At booting the message says, " Operating System Not Found."...

Hard drive not recognized [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Dell optiplex gx270. It has been working fine until now. It started freezing up on me and then when I rebooted I got message "press F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup". I went into setup and the hard drive did not show up. It said unknown device for primary IDE device. After shutting down...

Drive Not Recognized in Windows XP [ 2 Answers ]

!! PLEASE HELP ME!! Okay, I have been beating my head against the wall for two days now, and I have been without my system for a week, so I'd really appreciate the help. I built a system three days ago and everything was going perfectly had programs up and functioning great. I have two...

View more questions Search