Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wanderinghearts Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2011, 08:21 PM
    Should I stay with husband to spare the pain?
    I have been married for 14 years, and have two girls 5 and 7. My husband and I adopted them, after I basically pushed him into it. He has since come to love the girls with all his heart, and is a great dad. However, he's been a lousy husband for years. He ignores me, yells at me, and seems bummed out quite often. It's a kind of seasonal depression that's worse in the winter.
    I've been feeling lost and lonely for a long time. On one hand, I'm so glad we adopted out girls, and I have a great job in education. On the other hand, no matter how hard I tried, I could not get him to be nice to me, consider my needs, and really try to be my friend... Until something happened.
    I kind of broke inside. I decided I couldn't live like this. I contacted a very dear friend, and ex boyfriend who's fun, sexy, and single. I've been having a long-distance "virtual" affair. It's helped me wake up to emotions I buried, and I really felt I needed to leave my husband, and work on a functional co-parenting relationship.
    When I told him this 4 months ago, he was much, much more upset than I thought he would be. He said he realized he's been a jerk, and he's try to change. He's been a new guy for me. He's nice, sexually interested, and helps around the house more. I'm a skeptic, and can't be sure this new guy is here to stay, but I also want to believe.
    I'm at the crossroads. I have a new apartment, and I can move in 2 weeks, or I can back out. I'll have to wait another 6-12 months before I could move out if I back out now.
    I'm most concerned about our girls well-being and sense of stability. I don't want to hurt my husband. I still want to leave, though. I don't think my ex is going to be a new boyfriend, but he might. Not sure, doesn't matter. I really don't want to look back and regret my choice.
    So objective strangers, what do you think? Should I stay to avoid hurting my loved ones?
    jessi72 Posts: 28, Reputation: 13

Jun 16, 2011, 05:43 AM
    Honey I would normally say you shouldn't stay with someone you know you have no feelings for whatsoever. It's a major lie at your expense and his. It can work out for a while, but you''ll get more miserable with time and depressed, upsetting your little girls a lot more than you'd think. Relationships that don't work are far more dangerous and conflicting than divorce. Bits of opinion, though.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 05:54 AM

Has your husband considered antidepressants?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 17, 2011, 04:17 PM

Since you have his attention, and he wants to change, why not give it a try since the stakes are so high. This time get some help to resolve your problems, and start with a check up, as the root of his behavior could be as simple as talking to a doctor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long do pain killers stay in your system? [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to have a drug test in a week or so and I am addicted to painkillers. I need to know how long they stay in my system for, so I now how long I have to stop, if I can stop.

How long do pain killers stay in your system? [ 1 Answers ]

How long do Pain killers stay in your system?

Should I stay with my husband [ 4 Answers ]

My husband is an alcoholic. One evening about 3 weeks ago he called me to come over and pick him up at his friends house.. And while his friend and I were helping my husband to the car ( because he was drunk ) His friend leaned over my shoulder and said when he goes home and passes out, Come over...

How long do pain killers stay in your system? [ 6 Answers ]

I am needing to know how long Lortabs and Percocets stay in your system.

View more questions Search