Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2011, 02:14 PM
    I really need opinions/suggestions
    Here is my story-
    I worked at Tim Hortons for a year, started when I was 13. Everyone, including customers, supervisers, managers, and the owner had nothing but good things to say about me. When I gave my two weeks notice they gave me a card, I hadn't heard of them giving a card to anyone else who had quit. (I quit because I couldn't juggle work, school, and hockey)

I worked at mcdonalds for 9 months, again, I got along with everyone, even the manager "who was mean to everyone" complimented me on a job well done (and everyone else said he never did that to them). (I quit because I had gotten my puppy, was working at my moms friends shop, and I was babysitting, I didn't really need to be working)

Now, Ive worked at two different clothing stores, Bootlegger and Ardene's. I worked at Bootlegger first but just before my one month probation was up I was fired.. over the phone. There exact words were "Your not cut out to work for us, your not "Bootlegger material". Well that was all fine (I was kind of upset as no one had told me anything I was doing wrong that entire month, maybe if I was told something wasnt up to standards I could change it).

Shortly after that I was hired at Ardene's, and again, just before my month was up, went in for a shift and my manager was like "we need to talk.. ". She said "Your not suited for us at this time". I told her "I worked at bootlegger before here and was told the same thing, could you maybe be more specific so I can work on it for next time?" ", she said "you can't do ear piercings". Which she knew I couldn't do from the time she hired me!

At both the clothing locations I folded clothes while everyone else working was gawking about lastnight at the bar and how wasted they got, I did exactly what I was asked and then whatever else needed to be done. I was friendly to all the customers and all the staff.

I honestly just don't get what Im doing wrong, Im never late, Im friendly, and no one I worked with ever told me I was doing something wrong.

Any suggestions on what to try next? Obviously clothing stores are not for me..

And any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong (I know this one might be hard to answer.. )
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 12, 2011, 02:40 PM

It may be just that, you did not fit in with the other employees, you were not "one of the group" while you were folding clothes they were chatting and building relationships.

Also assuming you are a lot younger than some of the other workers, customers may have preferred a older clerk to service them.

It sounds like there is something else going on as to the reason, I am sorry that the companies did not inform you of that.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 12, 2011, 03:29 PM

Emily, what do you want to do? What's your passion?

You love animals, so why not apply to pet stores, or shelters. Some shelters do hire paid employees. Look at the Humane shelters in your area. Our hire full time staff, $10 an hour, and you'll be working with animals. It's not always easy, you'll be responsible for cleaning the cages and at times helping with euthanasia or deposing of the bodies, but for the most part you'll be doing something you love.

Working retail isn't for everyone. Most people think it's easy, but it's not. You just don't have a knack for it, and that's okay. Your calling is elsewhere. :)
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2011, 05:30 PM

Fr_Chuck, I don't go out and drink, so there was no point me joining in on there conversations. I couldn't have brought anything to the conversation either... and honestly Ardene's is mostly for young girls, I don't think talking about doing body shots and how much you can drink before you puke is a great thing to talk about at work..

Alty, the shelter in my area is strictly volunteer (and I'm already doing that), I've applied at every pet store in my city.. but no call backs (only one of which was actually hiring though).

There is a pound here as well, but I already no I couldn't work there.. If an animal has been there longer than 72 hours it is killed... I couldn't deal with that every single shift.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need opinions! [ 22 Answers ]

I need opinions. I am finally moving into an apartment that allows dogs so once again I can have one! Yay! I just need ideas as to what. I will PROBABLY rescue, but I want to have some breeds in mind. It's an apartment, so I don't really have a yard, but I'm not one to put my dog outside and...

This guy's confusing, and I'm on edge -opinions, suggestions? [ 4 Answers ]

So this situation I asked some questions about a few months ago. But things have changed, slightly, and I'm fishing for some fresh opinions. It's a little hard to follow, but hopefully I've made it clear enough. I was in a city in the fall for a few months. I met a guy early on and we met up...

Just want some opinions. [ 7 Answers ]

I have a beautiful 5 month old son, he has been so easy to care for, sleeps 12 hours a night since he was three weeks old, and I LOVE being a mom. I left my job as an RN to stay at home with my little man. Anyway, I just wanted some opinions: When is a good time to have a second child? We want to...

Your opinions. [ 38 Answers ]

Okay so this site is called Ask Me Help Desk but your not allowed to get Home work HELP. What's the point of that?

Needs some opinions [ 7 Answers ]

Hey all I was just looking for different advice chats and found this website and I have a few issue I can use some advice on. I have been dating my girfriend now for almost 3 years. We fight like any other couple nothing to serious. Problem is that I pretty much build a life around her wondering...

View more questions Search