Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2011, 10:33 AM
    Shower grouting
    What is the best material to use to re-grout around the edges of my bathroom shower. The person who installed it used some kind of rubber material that comes apart every time I try to clean the mildew. I want to completely clean out all the rubber material and re-grout so it can withstand scrubbing to clean mildew on the seams. Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 07:58 AM

" the edges of my bathroom shower" exactly where is this spot? I agree with Mark but not if this is where the wall meets the shower pan or in a corner. That area needs caulk, not grout, and that can also contain Microban. DAP Products - Caulks and Sealants - DAP® KWIK SEAL PLUS® Premium Kitchen & Bath Adhesive Caulk w/MICROBAN®
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 10:33 AM

I agree with you entirely, Bob... why I removed that post and am posting this post, now!

DAP is a great product and will do very nicely here. However, I like the newer GE silicone II... drys in 1 hour and is mildew resistant with a 10 year mold-free product protection ingredient.

Check it out at this link:

GE Silicone II K/B Supreme Withstands Water One Hour After Application

I have used this quite successfully in many applications over the last year or two and am happy to recommend it!

Either caulking will do fine! Remove your old caulking, use some isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) to clean/dry the area and then apply either caulking as needed.

Good day!

Mark
    Attached Images

WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2011, 02:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    " the edges of my bathroom shower" exactly where is this spot? I agree with Mark but not if this is where the wall meets the shower pan or in a corner. That area needs caulk, not grout, and that can also contain Microban. DAP Products - Caulks and Sealants - DAP® KWIK SEAL PLUS® Premium Kitchen & Bath Adhesive Caulk w/MICROBAN®
    It is where the wall meets the shower pan and the corners.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 06:56 AM

Then do not grout this at all, use caulk, either Mark's or my recommendation should be perfect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Re-grouting shower floor [ 8 Answers ]

I am doing some re-grouting work on my shower floor. The tiles are about 2 inches wide and the spaces between the tiles are about 1/8 inch or a bit less. Do I use sanded or unsanded grout?

Caulking vs grouting [ 4 Answers ]

I just set 50 large (8"x 10") tiles on the upper back wall over my fiberglass shower unit. These tiles go along the top (to the ceiling) and down along the sides to the floor. The will not come into contact with direct water. (hopefully) I had planned on mixing grout that would have matched my...

Re grouting shower floor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in the process of re grouting a shower floor. I've removed loose grout with a grout saw and ready to apply new grout. Question - Most of the grout is still in good shape and very little was removed (mostly only edge spots). Along the edge is mold. I've attempted to use cleaners to remove...

Grouting in a shower room [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can you tell me how often you would expect to maintain grouting in a shower room if it has been professionally applied and the shower has average use? Thanks

View more questions Search