Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mhowes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2011, 10:23 AM
    How do I know if my roof has hail/wind damage?
    I live in GA where we have a lot of hail/wind storms. Not only is my roof older (20 yrs), but several of my neighbors has gottentheir roofs replaced because of hail damage. What can I look for to see if my roof is damaged too, and if so, what can I do about it?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 12, 2011, 01:08 PM

You should call out a qualified roofer in your area and get a roof inspection done.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2011, 06:55 PM

Call SEVERAL roofers and see what they think and then if several are convinced you have hail damage then call your agent and they will send out somebody to inspect it and see if it needs replaced. If you got up and actually looked at your roof you could possibly see indications of the hail damage. If you're looking from the ground the damage may not be discernable as easily.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 07:02 PM

First in GA there are dozens of fly by night companies, Do not use anyone that has sales people come door to door selling roofs or home improvements.

Find local roofers that have been in business for several years.

Have one of their inspectors come out, normally you can find nicks ( dents) in the roof, chips off the ends of shingles, and sometimes broken shingles.

If you have not sealed around pipes and the such in a couple years, that will normally need to be done for sure.

If the roof company thinks you need one, then your insurance company will have an adjuster come out and they will meet with the rep from the roof company.

Never, ever give the roofer a large deposit
    jasonshoots Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2011, 10:20 AM
    OK. I am a sales person in GA and we've done plenty of roofs since I been working in a year that I have been working for them. Not alway's a company has been in business is still going to be a better company, you have to use your own discernment, on this one. If you want maybe even check with references of past customers. We do all the work with the insurance adjuster when he comes out and we get up on the roof at the same time, which is better for us, so we are with the adjuster which cannot be accused of anything, and it saves time, and money. Let me know if I may help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 3, 2011, 10:33 AM
    I will tell you a story about many of the roofing companies, ask who owns them, ask what company they were before.

Many roofing companies come in, do great work for a few months to a year, then they sell a lot but don't do the work, Douglasville GA has had a couple of them this last year. The owner of that company has owned about 3 before. And many of those sales people now sale for other companies.
    jasonshoots Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2011, 10:40 AM
    Yes Douglasville has had, I wasn't working yet for them. But I am still around, and the company is still putting roofs on houses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HAIL DAMAGE : Can I file a claim with my previous insurance provider? [ 3 Answers ]

I had been with Alfa for about 20 years for my homeowners insurance when they suddenly and for no valid reason jacked the rates by about 30%. This included my personal residence as well as 3 rental properties I own. I spoke to my agent and he assured me that if I would switch my auto insurance...

Roof damage claim [ 5 Answers ]

I have wind caused roof damage on half of the slopes of my home. I have replacement or repair policy, but my roof shingles are no longer available. The roof is 10 years old. The shingle manufacture is no longer in business. What can I expect from an insurance adjuster when he inspects my damage?

Roof damage [ 1 Answers ]

30 days ago we purchases a house, and made our 1st payment this month. Needless to say our rood is pretty much caving in... is there anything we can do? Can we go after the seller? Do anything with our insurance?

View more questions Search