Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goldiexx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2011, 05:03 AM
    Gold fish
    I had two gold fish in a tank 1 was smaller than the other day by day I noticed that the smaller fish was losseing bits of its fins tail etc then I cleaned it out 1 day it had 1 fin left on it (poor thing) I don't no whether the other fish was eating it or it was bad! I took it out of the tank and put it in another tank, 2 days later my little fish had died do you no the cause of this??
    I have one gold fish left and now that is starting to get red markings on its tail and body? Please help.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2011, 09:01 AM
    Sounds like a space or territory issue. The larger fish attacked and ate the fins of the smaller fish. Maybe a bigger tank or only 1 fish. How big is your tank?
    GZDZ Posts: 139, Reputation: 18

Jun 13, 2011, 12:15 PM
    Blood streaks in the fins is sign of stress in the water. Check all your water parameters(PH, Nitrites, nitrates and ammonia), this can stress the fish out.Your PH should be 7.0 an up for goldfish, 0(zero) on everything else. Water temp should be cool NO HEATER.

If the tank did not cycle to take care of the new fish, that's your problem. The bacteria cannot keep up with the fish waste. Feed every other day and not too much till the bacteria can catch up to the waste the fish is producing.

Do not change the water unless you show ammonia/nitrite etc. And always use a dechlorinator for tap water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can gold fish disappear? [ 4 Answers ]

I Have had two gold fish for about two years. One is smaller than the other. I was told how to clean the tank, which is very small, big enough for two fish not needing a pipe or anything. The pet shop man told me to keep a little of the old water each time cleaning it and then to refill the...

Gold fish behavior [ 2 Answers ]

On Friday morning in my classroom before we started our class, my one goldfish- the feeder fish type that I have had probably for 3 years now, began to spaz out. He darted all around the tank and actually bumped into the sides and plants in the water. He then started to not be able to stay...

Gold fish not eating [ 0 Answers ]

"i have 2 small red haeded gold fishes from 20 days one fish is a bit smaller than the other.sometimes the big one chase the smaller. the smaller one yesterday eat the food and throw it out several times. today she do not want to eat. i separate it in another bowel and put dry flakes every hour...

Gold Fish [ 5 Answers ]

Hello Got a 10 gallon tank for my son Christmas. Yesterday I bought 9 gold fish. It looks like there is plenty of room for other or more fish. I am also thinking of adding real plants. The thing is the info I am getting on the net is 10 gallon tank is not even big enough for one gold...

Gold fish seems water logged [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My problem is with my goldfish. This goldfish is in an outside tank and almost 2 weeks ago I changed 2/3 of the water, got sidetracked and forgot to turn the filter and pump back on until the next morning. I have 5 big goldfish and 2 algae eaters in this tank. The only fish affected by this...

View more questions Search