Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lruellan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2007, 01:54 PM
    New York city tax refund for H1b visa holder
    Hi,

I have been living in New York city for 2 and half years and am currently holding an H1B visa. I filed my last 2 tax returns as a non resident for New York, and was able to get a full refund of my New York city tax.

My question is I'm not sure if I can still file as non resident and get my New York city tax back for my third tax return, or if this was only possible for my 2 first tax filings only.
    I have heard conflicting reports that an H1b visa holder living in New York city can get a full refund of his New York city tax for 2 years or for 3 years. Obviously, I did get my tax back for the first two years - now I'm not sure if I can still do so for the 3rd year.
    Thank you for your advice.

Lothaire
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Lothaire:

You may need to consult with a local NYC-based tax professional.

To my knowledge, nonresident aliens living in NYC are treated exactly like U.S. citizens who live in NY. They pay the same state and city income taxes.

Add to that the fact that you are NOT a nonresident alien and have not been since 2004. As a H-1B visa holder, you are a resident alien and are subject to the same taxes as any U.S. citizen.

The fact that the 2003, 2004 and 2005 tax returns were processed does not mean they were done correctly. If the NYC and NY state tax authorities figure out that you filed as a non-resident of NYC when in fact you have been living in NYC, they will come back to you and rather insistently request that you pay your taxes, plus penalties, plus interest.

That is a rather unpleasant experience.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IRA account for H1B Visa Holder [ 5 Answers ]

I'm an Indian Citizen working as a consultant here in US and my current employer does not offer any 401(k) plans or other options. Is there a way I can open a IRA account ( say with ETrade or ShareBuilder) without any issues from my employer's side/ or his knowledge? Are there any more...

Tax Return for H1B visa holder -expenses- [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B visa since this Oct. 2nd. My OPT expired on June 2006, so I went back to Japan and stayed there Until end of Sept. My company hold my position while I am gone since I was supposed to apply last year (Due date was so quick so I could not Apply, but company promissed they'll...

Tax for H1 and H4 visa holder [ 5 Answers ]

I am in H1b Visa, my wife came here in H4 visa in Nov 15, 2006. Can I fill 1040 for 2006 jointly with my wife so that we can receive 13000 standard deduction? She needs a ITIN? She can not have a SSN. Thanks.

Tax for H1B holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got an postdoctoral fellow offer under H1B visa from one university in US. If I hold Singapore passport, do I need to pay tax? How about china possport? Thanks.

OPT Tax rate in New york city [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am an Indian student on OPT about to start work in a non profit organisation. I wanted to know how much is the OPT tax in New York? My OPT ends on July 19,2006. My income will be around 30-35k during this year.

View more questions Search