Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kbaker1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2007, 01:31 PM
    Convicted Felon
    Hello All I have a federal felony for Bank Fraud. I'm currentlty on probatin and It will end December 2008. So my felony will be on my record once my probation is over. Now I'm engaged and my Fiance' is enlisted in the United States Air Force. His orders will send him oversea's More than likely to German or Itila. My question is will I have a problem going with him? We plan to marry before he is sent oversea's.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2007, 03:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kbaker1
    My question is will I have a problem going with him?
    Hello kb:

I think you could have a problem. Talk to your PO. They get very nervous when you leave the state for a weekend. I'll bet they have a heart attack when you tell them you want to LIVE overseas.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 28, 2007, 03:44 PM
    First of course the person in the military will have notify her supervisor of your crime, it can effect to a level her security clearance. ( perhaps not but when I was with the government I had to report any person I was related to that had ever done a crime)

On getting a visa to go into Germany it is possible that it could be an issue.

Also it is very possible that the PO will not allow you to leave the county either.
    John1865 Posts: 27, Reputation: -1

Jan 29, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Did he just enlist in the Air Force? If so, he will have to finish basic training first 6-weeks at Lackland AFB, San Antonio TX. then technical school 3-4 months. Finally, the Air Force doesn't usually send new folks overseas.

It does happen, but it's not the norm. Especially, if he only requests stateside bases on his "dream sheet." A "dream sheet" is a wish list one submits requesting certain bases. The Air Force tries to match ones request with openings based on rank and skill level. All Air Force personnel must submit a "dream sheet."

Concerning probation, I'm not an expert on this subject. However, don't expect to go overseas during his first 3-years. In addition, Germany and Italy are choice assignments and difficult to get anyway.
    matwiz Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2009, 11:05 AM

I think before anyone with convictions worry about being able to "go with her/ his loved one" - he / she must first worry about the destination country. In your case, Germany. Worry first about their immigration regulations. Will they allow you in, with a conviction on your criminal record? Even if, for example, the USA / PO has issued you a passport, or allowed you to EXIT, the biggest problem you will have is: Will you be able to ENTER Germany / Italy? The worst that could happen is you get detained at some German / Italian Airport (since INTERPOL might flag you) and send you back, and even worse, with a ban on re-entering Germany / Italy for attempting to enter with a record. This is the worst scenario. I do not know German/Italian (or E.U for that matter) Immigration rules but be safe and find out first what their regulations are regarding entry to their country with a conviction through their consulates...
    matwiz Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2009, 11:12 AM
    You have two problems. Forget, for now the rules of where your fiancé works. This is not the issue. These are the issues:

1. Will you be allowed to exit? Meaning, will your PO let you? Will you be issued a passport?

Let's assume then that the above is cleared, you were allowed to exit.

The next bigger problem is:

2. Will they let you in Germany or Italy? The US has no more jurisdication in these countries so the decision is up to these countries. This is more hindering...
    kayandbutch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2010, 08:56 PM
    A felony NEVER EVER comes off your record, sorry. It's there for life, unlike probation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surety Bond - Convicted felon [ 7 Answers ]

Can a convicted felon (drug charge) who has served his time and is now going to school to learn a trade get bonded and get a contractor license?

Availability of passport for convicted felons [ 29 Answers ]

My fiancée and I are planning out our honeymoon, but recent media articles have put a damper on these plans. We've read that in January 2007, all American citizens traveling throughout the Caribbean, and Mexico must be in possession of a U.S. passport. This even applies to simple border crossings....

17 year old convicted of rape [ 11 Answers ]

In relation to this story : story Is there any way to help this young man. I don't understand all the intricacies of law and thought this forum could help. I am basically infuriated with the judge's ruling and want to do something about it. Can I do anything? I mean , that kid could easily have...

Convicted Felons and travel [ 1 Answers ]

Can a convicted felon travel to the Caribbean? If so, is a passport required or will a certified birth certificate do?

View more questions Search