Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    muchmemory Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2007, 12:27 PM
    Caulking a drain
    Does silicone sealants have a shelf life or a temperature range when stored?
    I opened a new tube of GE Silicone II that was purchased several years ago and stored unopened and unused until now. The instructions say: "Tack free in 45 mins. Full cure in 24 hours". It has been over 24 hours now since I used it very sparingly on a shower stall drain and it isn't even tack free yet. There is no indication of an expiry date on the tube, except to say it has a 50 year durability. What can you tell me?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 28, 2007, 12:38 PM
    I never ran into that situation before. Hasn't it begun to set up yet. Is it still runny or just tacky? You may have to clean it off and buy a new tube. Good luck Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Re-caulking lead seal [ 3 Answers ]

I have a cast iron closet flange with a lead seal on a concrete floor. During remodeling and toilet replacement, I found the flange to be a bit loose and secured it to the floor with screws and some leveler (used for unrelated floor issues). There is a bit of a ragged edge on the lead seal where...

Lead wool caulking [ 1 Answers ]

I read in another post that you can caulk with lead wool. Does this mean that after packing oakum in a joint, you then pack lead wool into that same joint (without any application of heat) and you are done?

Shower weep hole drain turned into tub drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my shower to a roman tub. The existing drain is a weep hole drain. Is there a plug for these type of drains? The idea is to use the same drain system and hot mop, tile, etc. around it.

Bad Caulking on Acrylic Tub Cover [ 1 Answers ]

Sent : Thursday, August 17, 2006 9:33 AM To : <[email protected]> Subject : Re Tom, I don't know if this next problem falls under the "plumbing" category, but you've helped me so much with two other things, I figure I'll give it a shot. A few years ago, we had an acrylic tub put right...

View more questions Search