Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    filancia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2011, 01:44 PM
    What areas can a probation officer search in my house?
    I live rent a room from my cousin he is on probation. Can his p.o. come and search my room if I have my door locked.
    The house is not in his name its in his moms name so he rent from her and I rent a room from him type thing.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2011, 03:01 PM

Does not matter whose name the house is in, or whose room. He already signed a "blank search warrant" consent when he got on probation. The thing here is that he could secrete illegal items in YOUR room even ifyou are not aware of these items. Hence the PO can legally search the entire house, locked rooms included. He can also open closets, root through dresser drawers and locked luggage, etc. As long as it is at the residence of the person on probation EVERYTHING is game for the PO if he so choses to look, search, etc.

If you have nothing to hide, then you should not be worried. If you do have something that would get your cousin in trouble, then get rid of it. Weapons of any kind are illegal, so if you have a gun then by all means keep it off the property. Same goes for very large hunting knives.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can a probation officer search in my house when they show up? [ 19 Answers ]

I am just wondering when I am on probation, what can the officer search in my house? My wife and I have documents and private stuff in safes and I am just wondering if they have the right to go in everything. It seems crazy to me but who knows

Is my probation officer required to house me? [ 2 Answers ]

My P.O. released me unexpectedly, so there was no preparation time to find housing. 1/2 way houses will take months to get into. Does the probation and parole office in Janesville, WI 53545 have to give me a voucher to stay somewhere?

Probation officer and Half way house [ 2 Answers ]

If a person is on probation and is sentenced to a prison term of one year and completes it but is still on probation when they are done, can the probation officer send them to a half way house for 3 months? Is that another form of incarceration? If they were not a sex offender can the probation...

About my probation officer coming to my house taking bank statements. [ 7 Answers ]

Well the other day my probation officer came to my house well five of them did and went through my things. They took bank statements and my check book. I wasn't there but my girlfriend was. They told her to tell me to call them to see if I could get my papers back.. I'm on probation for fake...

In Search of Reasons that WILL Allow Termination of My Probation having no PO Officer [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to court this week since I filed a motion to terminate probation early because it is hindering my job progression as my field of work is within the Accounting Dept. I have heard that this reason alone is not good enough. Please advise. Thanks!

View more questions Search