Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sylvsdogbooma Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2011, 01:24 PM
    Pain relief
    My dog is shaking and wining. He seems to be in pain from his feet which have been giving him a lot of trouble for the last few weeks. He doesn't want to walk anywhere. He has been to the vet twice now but they just sold me some wash. His feet seem crusty with dark patches between his pads. I have cut away as much hair as possible (He is maltese 14yo) and used the wash. Didn't help. Then I tried salt water and blow drying. He is eating fine and the vet says seems relatively healthy but Id like to give him something for the pain if that's what needs to make his life a bit better. Is there anything I can give him from home as I know they can take human antibiotics
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jun 9, 2011, 01:40 PM

More about his paws: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/s...et-580108.html

Generally, it is better to ask your vet's recommendations since he/she knows the animal's history. Also, human painkillers can be very dangerous for our four-legged friends.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2011, 06:25 PM

Call your vet for advice (It's usually free if you have a kind vet) and ask if Benedryl would be suitable for him.

Benedryl is commonly used with dogs for allergies and itching so it may be beneficial to relieve some discomfort.
    However I strongly urge you to consult your vet first before using it as the dosage for dogs is very different to humans and you will need to know the correct amount for his weight.

If it is irritated skin pain meds likely would not give much relief.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2011, 08:19 PM

If your dog appears to be in pain, then take him to the vet. You will be prescribed doggy advil (rimadyl) to help take care of his pain and inflammation... And.. even find out why his feet hurt. It could be more then just his feet, his legs, joints or muscles might be hurting.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Jun 10, 2011, 03:16 AM
    The material between the toe pads may be coincidental to the reluctance to walk.

At 14 years of age, there may be some musculoskeletal changes occurring with his feet. Over time and with only mild use of the feet, like walking on flat surfaces like grass, sidewalks, and rugs, the foot loses some of it's strength and begins to 'relax. Most house dogs have poor confirmation of the feet from this reason.

Dogs, and most animals, walk on their toes, The large pad behind the toes corresponds to the heel pad on your hand. What is properly called the 'paw' corresponds to our hand, and the first joint up from the floor, the carpal joint, would be called our wrist. By relaxing, I mean the muscles weaken and allow the foot to rotate back, so the dog is walking more on it's heels, and in severe cases it's 'wrist' rather than toes. Show dogs, especially the large breeds, are often exercised in long runs with pea gravel as a base. This causes them to flex their feet with each step as the gravel gives way beneath them, which builds muscle in their feet and thus keeps them walking properly on their toes.

Humans have a foot condition called 'plantar fasciitis', which is an inflammation of the ligament running along the bottom of our feet. The condition is from abnormal positions of the foot like poorly fitting shoes and lack of arch support. This causes severe pain in , usually, the heel as the inflamed ligament shrinks in the nighttime, while sleeping. The condition is usually relieved/corrected by exercises which stretch the ligament and strengthen the muscles of the foot.
    While dogs don't have this structure, they do develop lameness from excess rotation of the foot, presumably from pain.

I suggest you have him reexamined with this conformation approach in mind rather than the dermatological condition.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any pain relief from TMJ? [ 5 Answers ]

I saw the post from Mary earlier today about TMJ, I was just diagnosed with it. The pain is comparable to labor pains. The dentist wants me to take muscle relaxer at night for a couple of weeks, then let him know if that doesn't work and he'll fit me for a mouth guard. Don't think I can wait a...

Fourteen year old with allover back pain and coccyx pain from skiing fall [ 3 Answers ]

In February this year I went skiing for 2 weeks in waterville valley, New Hampshire, USA - a few days into the second week an inexperienced skiier like myself lost control and cut me up causing me to fall and I landed fiercely on a bit of ice which -just like when you fall on your bum or knock it-...

Herinated disc pain relief [ 5 Answers ]

Hope someone out there can give me some info. I have two herniated discs in my back L4 and L5. I was hit on my bicycle many years ago and this is a recurrent pain.Hit and run by the way. Last Monday ,I stretched to answer my cell and there it went. The pain usually lasts about a week but...

I need pain relief for fibromyalgia [ 1 Answers ]

I've had fibromyalgia for 2-1/2 years. I've seen several different doctors & take several different pain meds ranging from vicodine to morphine. I tried all the "new" meds that are advertise on TV with NO relief at all. I am home alone with 2 babies & I really need help! What can I do for pain...

Pain relief pm [ 1 Answers ]

I have trouble sleeping at night and have had for years. I have been taking pain relief pm for years. I have to take for a night to sleep. I know this can't be good for me. Does anyone know of anything I can do that will help without taking medication. My doctor has had me on several sleeping...

View more questions Search