Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flsunray Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2011, 01:35 PM
    Ceiling fan switch not working
    I have tried 3 times to replace the pull chain switch on my ceiling fan and I now only get it to work on high speed. My question is if I leave it on high speed, can I hook up a switch at the wall to control both the fan & lights separately? The fan is wired with black, white & red wires, but at the switch I am only seeing black & red wires, with a white wire connected together. If I have 3 wires at the ceiling, would that always mean you have 3 wires at the wall? What type of switch would you recommend for my situation? Thanks for any advice you have!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2011, 02:42 PM

You do have 3 wires at the wall, the red, black and white. Odds are great you have the wrong switch, exact can be tough, some same numbers have been know to have different switching.
    You can have the red and black at the wall go to 2 switches.
    You are lucky you have High, just leave the switch alone, use a Fan control for speed.
    You could even add a transmitter and receiver for remote control.
    flsunray Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2011, 04:43 PM
    Thanks for your answer, it is helpful! The only thing is I'm finding most of the wall switches are wired for 2 wires, I would need one that has 3 correct? I want to be able to control the light & fan separately, but with one switch. I think I've seen one switch with dual control. I was going to try the Lutron "Maestro" (fan/light control), but I see the wall switch only uses 2 wires and it uses a canopy module at the ceiling... not sure if this is right for my wiring since I have 3 wires? Thanks for your help!
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2011, 07:40 PM

These are good:
    SLIDE COMBO FAN 2.5A CONTROL - LIGHT 300W DIMMER- WHITE | eBay
    And look through these:
    http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R4...+light+control

Examples were shown, go with a good company, try to avoid the real cheap?
    Hard to tell where some are from.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2011, 12:13 PM

First, for the pullchain issue, what make is the fan?

Ceiling fan pullchain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More
    rhousley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2012, 10:12 AM
    Blades won't turn. Motor hums and lights do work. Doesn't appear that the shaft is turning
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2012, 11:02 AM
    See if blades spin freely and direction switch is NOT in the middle position.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan not working correctly after replacing 3 speed pull chain switch [ 0 Answers ]

Replaced the pull chain switch but it is only going to High/Low speeds.. won't shut off. Guessing I have the wiring wrong but I have different color wires then most other post. Any help would be appreciated. My fan has Black, Red, White and Yellow wires to be placed into the switch.

Wall switch not working ceiling fan with remote [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks for quick response but the light and fan work perfectly with remote control but now the wall dimmer switch will not turn on the light.

Fan switch on hunter ceiling fan model #20537 not working. [ 1 Answers ]

The fan switch on my hunter ceiling fan model #20537 is not working. What colored wires are supposed to go into the switch, and at what position on the switch? I have 3 wires, green, brown and gray. The switch has 4 slots, 3 L 2 1

New ceiling fan switch not working [ 2 Answers ]

During a remodel I moved light/fan switchs from one side of the door to the other. I had a double gang box with 2 single pole switchs and now have single gang with single pole double switch. I have a tried the old wiring configuration with the new single gang double switch and it blowes the breaker...

Remote for Hamton Bay Ceiling Fan not working - no wall or chain switch [ 4 Answers ]

I have changed the batteries in the remote, checked to make sure the toggle switches are in the same position in the remote and on the fan, checked the electrical switches and still neither the fan nor the light will come on. Any suggestions on what to do next before just replacing the remote?

View more questions Search