Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rschaer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2007, 10:54 AM
    How To Remove A Vent Stack From Roof
    Hello All,

I am in the process of remodeling a kitchen and We have decided to convert a full wall to a half wall/bar top in front of the kitchen sink. This means there will be no wall through which the drain vent can run. I plan on using an auto-vent for venting but that still leaves the PVC pipe sticking through the roof. I thought about capping the pipe but that seems like a poor long-term solution. Can someone explain to me how I can remove the vent stack from the roof and properly repair the area so that I won't leak? The house is single story with a single layer composition roof.

Thanks, RTS
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 28, 2007, 08:34 PM
    Is any other plumbing fixture vented in this pipe or is that it?
    If the sink is the only vent on that pipe go to the attic and cut it off below the roof line. Then on the roof remove the shingles in the area were the vent was, cut out the sheathing from one rafter to the next in the area of the vent hole. Patch the cut out section with a new piece of plywood, put a piece of roofing paper over the sheathing then re-shingle the patch area with new shingles.
    rschaer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2007, 09:05 PM
    Yes, the sink is the only fixture vented through this pipe. Thanks for the prompt advice... RTS

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proper height of stack vent through roof [ 6 Answers ]

Greetings, I am remodeling my house and have just finished roughing in a new bathroom. I am at the point now where I'm ready to extend the stack through the roof. I'm trying to figure out how high the stack needs to be. I seem to remember that the proper stack height was reached by using...

Vent Stack boot on roof [ 4 Answers ]

Installing new DWV system, finally ready to cut the stack through the roof. The flashing/boot that I bought says "do not caulk". I assume that means don't use caulk around the neoprene gasket that seals around the stack pipe, makes sense to me. But what about the flat underside of the aluminum...

Roof location for vent stack [ 1 Answers ]

I am in Hawaii and would like to re-route my vent stack location. The two current vents (2" ABS) have been threaded between my rafters (for no apparent reason) and I would like to straighten them to be in line directly above the plumbing wall and out the roof. The catch here is that we have a...

Vent stack relocation [ 2 Answers ]

I live on the top floor of a three story condo. I am renovating my kitchen and have run into a problem. I want to remove a wall in my kitchen that the sink is on. There is a 3" vent stack going straight up the middle of the wall I want to remove. Is it ok to re-route the vent stack by adding four...

Bathtub Vent Stack [ 2 Answers ]

First let me say this plumbing forum is very informative! Now also let me say that I am not well versed in plumbing lingo so hopefully I will be able to ask my question correctly. We plan to remodel our master bath. Currently our bathroom has a separate room for the lavatory, toilet, and...

View more questions Search