Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DiesMann Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2011, 10:14 PM
    Can I claim German citizenship via ancestry?
    All right, I am a quarter German from two great grandmothers. I don't know the specifics for one (though I could dig that up), but for the other, she was born to two immigrants from Germany, so she was full German. But she was born in the U.S.

Her daughter, my dad's mom, is dead. My dad is half German from that great grandmother and another great grandmother (who is now dead, I don't know that many of the specifics on her, as I said). The paperwork on everyone is accessible.

If I speak German fluently and study mechanical engineering in college (two relevant things I hear), what would be my chance of being able to claim German citizenship?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jun 9, 2011, 03:16 PM

Children born abroad to one or more German parents who themselves were born abroad on or after 1 January 2000 (entry into force of the revised Nationality Act), will in principle no longer acquire German nationality. The only exceptions to this rule are if the child would otherwise be stateless or if the German parent(s) register(s) the birth with the German mission responsible for where they live within one year of the birth of the child (section 4 (4) of the Nationality Act).
    It is now easier for people who have lost their German nationality by choosing to acquire a foreign nationality (section 25 of the Nationality Act) to re-acquire their German nationality provided they move back to Germany and fulfil certain other conditions.

Former Germans may also re-acquire German nationality without having to give up their place of residence abroad. In such cases, the opinion of the local German mission abroad carries considerable weight (section 13 of the Nationality Act).

Jun 9, 2011, 04:30 PM
    Just a little addition:

My great grandmother's parents were both German and they didn't naturalize. She was born here. So technically, she was a German citizen, and no one since her has had any citizenship other than the one they were born with.
    Family Law Expert

Jun 9, 2011, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DiesMann View Post
    Just a little addition:

My great grandmother's parents were both German and they didn't naturalize. She was born here. So technically, she was a German citizen, and no one since her has had any citizenship other than the one they were born with.
    Children born abroad to one or more German parents who themselves were born abroad on or after 1 January 2000 (entry into force of the revised Nationality Act), will in principle no longer acquire German nationality.
    Just a question:
    My great-great... grandfather was the Byzantine Emperor John VI. May I claim Byzantine/ or at least East-Roman/citizenship via ancestry?

Jun 9, 2011, 05:04 PM
    Comment on GV70's post
    I was born in 1994. My parents were born way before that.

As to your question, that makes it a question of just how far back. And does your family still speak the language of the Byzantine Empire and follow its culture? My family identifies back to Germany.
    Family Law Expert

Jun 9, 2011, 05:10 PM

Quote Originally Posted by DiesMann View Post
    As to your question, that makes it a question of just how far back. And does your family still speak the language of the Byzantine Empire and follow its culture?
    Hahaha-The Greek language in its Romaic variant is one of many spoken languages/along German, French and Russian/ in my family.

Jun 9, 2011, 06:10 PM
    Comment on GV70's post
    All right, I'll grant you that. Thanks for your time.

I'll keep that law from 2000 in mind, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply in this case, since we're all born before 2000. I'll conduct more research behind the 1913 law.
    Family Law Expert

Jun 9, 2011, 06:26 PM

Have a look here-there is plenty of useful information:
    REGIERUNGonline - Einbürgerung

... but I read this:
    A person born of a parent with German citizenship at the time of the child's birth is a German citizen. Place of birth is not a factor in citizenship determination based on parentage.

Those born after 1 January 1975 are Germans if the mother or father is a German citizen.
    Those born before 1 January 1975 could normally only claim German citizenship from the father and not the mother. Exceptions included cases where the parents were unmarried (in which case German mothers could pass on citizenship) or where the German mother applied for the child to be registered as German on or before 31 December 1977.
    Children born abroad to one or more German parents who themselves were born abroad on or after 1 January 2000 (entry into force of the revised Nationality Act), will in principle no longer acquire German nationality.
    The new law came into effect in 2000 and you cannot base your arguments on the law from 1913.;)

You may consult your case with the German Embassy-
    4645 Reservoir Road NW
    Washington, DC
    (202) 298-4000
    ... or you may find one of the German Consulates. Their list is here:
    German Missions in the United States - Consular Districts
    Trust me-they know their "stuff"more than you and me.

Jun 9, 2011, 11:32 PM
    Comment on GV70's post
    All right, sounds good, thanks. But note: my parents were not born on or after 1 January 2000 (obviously).

Thanks for the detailed answer, most appreciated. :)
    winthorne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2012, 08:09 PM
    Would an adult child (b. 1964 in California) of a deceased parent (b. 1929 in California) who himself was a child of someone born in Germany (mother born 1888) be able to claim German citizenship?
    akmorsel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2013, 11:26 AM
    Did you ever find out?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

German citizenship [ 2 Answers ]

I was born in Germany in 1949 and have a German birth certificate. My mother was a German citizen, as were my Oma and Opa(a veteran of WWI and 3 uncle in the Wehrmacht- 2 dying on the Eastern Front). I was born before my parents wed. My father was in the USAAF . Am I eligible for German...

German citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

How does one become a German citizen?

Hi, was born in gemany (western former germany) in 1981, and I have my birth certificate From there, is it possible that I 'm able to apply for a german citizenship? And if not, could nit be duable in later times with later parties on power?! Many thanks

Want german citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Hi lets see if someone can solve this... I am south african by birth, with an Australian passport by descendance from my mother, who was born in germany but moved to oz in about the 50's. Apparently she had to give up her german citizenship to be allowed to live in oz but her mother is german and...

Hello, I was born in Germany in 1953 but migrated with my parents to Australia in 1954 and except for about a year in 1960 when we returned to Germany, I have lived in Australia all my life. My mother and all her family are German but my father is from the Sudentenland so may be considered...

View more questions Search