Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SWilly6510 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2011, 12:45 PM
    Naturally brown dark hair, been dying it black, WANT BLACK OUT& dark blonde in
    So, I have been dying it for a while now, BUT I want the black out... should I get it stripped then leave it alone? OR try L'Oreal ColorZap (it's supposed 2 get color out). I REALLY want to put some warm colors in it, like strawberry blonde & honey blonde highlights on top of my natural color... BUT, my Hubby & I are trying for a baby in July 2011 & I won't dye my hair while pregnant, PLUS, it doesn't take well on my hair while pregnant. I heard when you strip your hair it turns it a TERRIBLE color, so, should I strip it, & dye it my natural hair color, so while pregnant & it grows out, NO ROOTS.. ugh... HELP!!
    tmtrotminor Posts: 38, Reputation: 15

Jun 7, 2011, 06:07 PM

Things that get the color out do their best if you just dyed it. If it's been more than a day, it will give you damage and no results. If you want a healthy pregnancy and no roots, it would be best to bleach it out and tone it till it's natural. The color your hair turns when you bleach it from black will usually be orange, so blue (ash colored) toner will bring you to brown. And when you get to this brown, (I'm assuming that it's your natural hair color), to put highlights will be even more damaging and difficult to lift.

Jun 8, 2011, 01:28 AM
    So... I tried Loreal Color Zap tonight... it worked! My hair is VERY dry, but's that's part of doing this 2 your hair! It's a couple different colors though, going 2 salon tomorrow to see what they can do... let you know!!

Jun 8, 2011, 01:33 AM
    Comment on tmtrotminor's post
    Yhnx, nut I already used color zap :( BUT I have 2 go 2 salon tomorrow anyway because my hair looks like a rainbow and is SO dry... but black is GONE... I will ask about the toner, and yes... natural hair color is brown ;)

Jun 8, 2011, 01:35 AM
    Comment on tmtrotminor's post
    Also, LOTS of docs say its OK 2 dye while pregnant, and lots say its not... I think is fine, I did w/ my 1rst child, it just didn't take...
    tmtrotminor Posts: 38, Reputation: 15

Jun 8, 2011, 08:46 AM

That's odd that the zap lifted at all. I've tried it, and many of my friend have tried it (this of course was past a day) , and they said it doesn't work. Of course, none of us started at black either.
    I'm guessing at the salon they'll want to bleach it out a bit and tone it depending on how orange it is.. Toner is mostly used in the case that you like how light the color is, you just don't want orange, or yellow.. etc Just keep in mind, you can't repair damage. Product will advertise it, but it's actually impossible. The best they can do is throw on a coat of something that makes your hair feel better for a while. And once your hair is bleached enough, it actually melts. It will start to feel like rubber bands at the ends, and it becomes impossible to brush. So, you just have to be careful. I only say this cause you've used the zap (just about as damaging as bleach), you're probably going to have it bleached to get out the rainbow, and then if you want highlights, that's more bleach...
    And being pregnant and bleaching.. A few salons I've worked at will not do it for you to avoid lawsuits if anything goes wrong. And I only don't recommend it for the same reason. Also, it doesn't surprise me that it wouldn't take. Sometimes being on certain meds, being sick, or even menstruating will cause color/bleach not to take.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I turn my naturally dark brown/black hair to a light brown after I bleach it? [ 1 Answers ]

I used a light ash brown and it turned like a greyish green color!

How do I dye my naturally black hair dark brown? [ 3 Answers ]

My hair is naturally black and I really want to change to a light brown, how can I do this from home?

Getting my hair to dark blonde/light brown from black? [ 1 Answers ]

My hair has been black for a year or so and its not super unhealthy, but could be better. I want to somehow get the black out in the next few weeks, and slowly lighten it over the last few months of school and summer. How do I get the black out with minimum damage? And how long should I wait...

How to make naturally black hair med/dark brown [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to be very specific. I need to know how to dye naturally black hair to a med/dark brown color, using only professional products. i.e. exact color name and number, what volume developer, and how much to add to the color. I know ratio is very important. Thanks, mssherryk

Dying dark brown/black hair lighter [ 1 Answers ]

I've been wanting to dye my hair a shade lighter or just lighter in general, but I'm not sure that it will work, seeing as I have dark brwon hair. Are there any natural lightening products for dark/brown hair I can use? Or What coulour highlights should I add to my hair?

View more questions Search