Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2011, 05:42 AM
    Ok to trim burning bushes now?
    I know that winter or early spring is the best time to trim them, but I'm running late.

If I trim them now, will they still get red in the fall?

I'm in central Ohio.

Thanks!
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2011, 09:09 AM

Burning Bush Pruning

I understand they are pretty hardy and you should be able to prune anytime. The above article might be able to back that up.
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2011, 09:45 AM

I've seen that article. I know they are hardy and can be pruned anytime, but my fear is in trimming them too late causing them to not get red in the fall.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2011, 10:13 AM

Sorry.
    I can't imagine why the leaves 'wouldn't' turn red in the fall unless you kill it.

Hopefully 'Tick' will come along:) She should know for sure.
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2011, 12:18 PM

I had to get going, so have trimmed 30 or so of our 50-60 burning bushes. I'll finish tomorrow and post back in the fall to let everyone know if they still turn red.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lilac Bushes [ 5 Answers ]

The lilac bushes in our yard stopped blooming about three years ago. Is there anything we can do to these bushes to revive them?

HT Rose Bushes [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Ohio. I planted 2 new rose bushes last spring. A white HT John F Kennedy and a red Abraham Lincoln HT. I planted them about 2 feet from each other. They took off and blomed clear up till frost. I cut them back in the fall to about 2 feet from the ground. I noticed that my Blue girl HT...

Rose Bushes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have bought 4 rose bushes from Michigan Bulb. When the roses arrived the weather wasn't permittable to plant them. I received them a week ago. It is still too cold to plant them in the ground. I have been soaking them in a 5 gallon bucket of water with a little mirracle grow mixed in the...

Rose bushes [ 1 Answers ]

What nutrients do rose bushes need to survive

Rose bushes [ 2 Answers ]

We have an older yellow rose bush-this past summer it did not bloom but went totally out of control, even cutting back only compounded the rapid growth. We finally dug it up yesterday, the roots were actually starting to grow under siding a foot or so from the bush itself. We loved the flowers...

View more questions Search