Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laurettacasey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2011, 03:18 PM
    Son who seems to hate mother?
    I have a 27yr old son who just moved back home to try and get on his feet finanially. We let him live in the basement which is completely furnished with a rec room and bedroom. He has a very good job but because of student loans etc. he got himself into a rut. My husband and I pay for everything including his kitty litter and cat food for his pets. The only thing we asked is that he keep the area clean. I gave him 2 weeks to clean it up otherwise I would go down and clean it myself (it was very messy and dirty). I had given him a date when that date came, he had gone to work, I checked the basement, and after 2 hours of cleaning it was back to normal. When he came home from work, he began calling me vulgar names and throwing things at me because he felt I had invaded his privacy. My husband, tried to calm him down but as usual has blamed me for upsetting him. My son recently has become very angry with me and extremely disrespectful, which I have usually laughed off. My husband has just stated to me that he took my part over this issue and to just shut up over it.
    At this point, I'm just not sure what to do?
    tmtrotminor Posts: 38, Reputation: 15

Jun 6, 2011, 11:52 PM

Here's how I view this situation..
    On one hand, you're being kind and quite generous, which is very admirable of you. But, when an adult has a living space, it is expect not to be touched by anyone but them.. I mean, you wouldn't want one of you're family members coming over, cleaning up your house when you're not home because they thought it was dirty..
    However, Your son disrespecting you is not okay either. Your husband taking his side, and not acknowledging the way you feel is also not really fair.
    So, here's what I really believe you should do. Sit down with your son for a talk and say, "I just want you to know that I'm sorry for invading your privacy. I had the best intentions, and did not mean to hurt your trust in any way, and it will not happen again. I also want to say that I do not appreciate the way you've been treating in regards to it. It's hurtful, and I need you to stop. I love you, and I would like to move on, and continue having the relationship we've always had."
    With that, you're husband should have nothing to say. If he disagrees with that, you might want to sit down and have a serious talk.
    Best of luck to you!
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jun 7, 2011, 04:21 AM
    You're supposed to 'just shut up and get over it?'... I don't think so.

You did the right things- to a point. But, there were no clear rules and boundaries. Telling him he could stay until he is back on his feet financially, is not the same as saying he can stay for three months, and then you expect him to be living on his own.

He has moved in, and taken over. You are not charging him rent, despite the fact that he has a good job. You even buy his kitty litter and food- that's a bit much. It is another missed opportunity in setting boundaries that should have happened before he moved in.

Any house guest, which is what your 27 year old son is, doesn't trash the joint, disrespect you, complain about the accommodations, or a lack of privacy. This is YOUR home- not his. He is walking all over you, and it is clearly time to lay down the law.

Tell him that you expect him to find other accommodations by the first of next month. Do not offer to help him financially- it is time he put his big boy pants on and take care of his own business. He can do what many others of us have had to do over the years- visit the bank, make payment arrangements, change his lifestyle, get financial counselling, and do what he has to do to be a man, step up, and live his life without his parents bailing him out.

You are doing him no favours in allowing this grown man to squat in your home, and I hope both you and your husband come to an agreement that it has to stop.

He needs to grow up, and you need to let him.
    carolynnea Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jun 18, 2011, 12:09 PM
    Your husband needs to grow a pair and your son needs to try to survive on his own so if he is allowed to come back, he would appreciate it. Throwing something at you is ASSAULT unless you are a petutlant child. He needs to GROW UP!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does my mother hate me so much? [ 13 Answers ]

My mother for some reason hates me so much it hurts, she can't stand my face and has been telling me this from a very young age. I feel I've had a sad childhood, in my teens unless I was working and paying money at home she would ignore me and make life hell. Her not talking to me but giving extra...

I hate my MIL because she wants to become mother to my son. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everybody, My mom-in-law love on my kid is untolerable.She started torturing me as soon as I gave birth to my kid. She blamed me that I could'nt produce enough milk and torturing me to switch to bottle milk so that she can feed to her grand son. At that peroid her...

I hate my mother [ 17 Answers ]

My mother: Cheated on my dad with my best friends dad when I was around 7/8, and was supposed to leave me Dad for him, however they got back together. Things seemed okay for a while after that. Whilst I was around 13, my mother was cheating on my Dad who at that point worked nights, all the...

Hate my mother [ 5 Answers ]

I think I hate my mother. She is 81 and in terrific health. She is unkind to me - and puts me down. My daughter is getting married and she will not come to the wedding because we are not inviting my niece who is 6. My daughter does not want children at her wedding and it is an evening wedding....

I hate my mother [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a 30yr old wife and mom to an adorable 2yr old boy.I feel like I've finally got myself and my family put together and established but it's my once very stable parents who are falling apart.im an only child and I had a picture perfect childhood.my mother was a stay at home mom and my father was...

View more questions Search