Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asTer0id Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Collision, no police report
    I was driving home on a wet road last night and suddenly lost traction and control of the car, but managed to swerve it and hit the side of the road and stop it. I busted the front right part of my car and the tire. Unfortunately, I was a minute from home and so shaken up that I didn't call the cops, since no one else was involved and there was no injury.

I have comprehensive coverage with statefarm... can I file a claim without a police report? What should I do?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2007, 08:26 AM
    Hello as:

Well, of course, you file a claim.

I doubt the subject of a police report will even come up, because even if you did file a police report, and even if the cops gave you a ticket (which they might have), they would STILL be responsible for fixing your car. You are responsible for paying your deductible.

With comprehensive coverage, your car gets fixed, because it's in need of fixing. And, the insurance company doesn't care who's at fault, unless it's somebody they can collect from after they pay you. In your case, there's nobody.

I take that back. There is somebody - YOU. So, they'll raise your rates and get their money back that way.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 28, 2007, 09:38 AM
    Yes you may file a report with your insurance company.

They will not require a police report.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto Collision with no license or insurance [ 10 Answers ]

I have not had a license or insurance for many years. I was suspended in my late teens, and to stay out of trouble just don't drive while paying off the fines I racked up. I do own a car that my girlfriend likes to drive, a 99 Cadillac STS, and often drive it around the block to shuffle...

Auto collision, no damage, said was not there [ 1 Answers ]

A car and I were stopped at a red light. I was doing something and my foot slipped off the break. I rolled into the car in front of me. There was no damage to either vehicle. The lady in the front car got out asked me to write down my name, phone # and license plate # and asked to see my driver...

Auto accident with no witness or police report [ 2 Answers ]

I was parking my car at a busy gas station and hit a curb. The guy behind me said that I hit his car, but I said I didn't. None of the other customers witnessed anything, (it was full that day) and the police were not called. Am I liable for his "damages"?

Police Department [ 1 Answers ]

I have been told that I could not be hired for a position at the local police department (City X, North Carolina) because I have a judgement sitting on my credit report. Why do they do that? I meet all other qualifications, and when I ask the reason isn't that I am not capable, but because I have...

View more questions Search