Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2011, 06:51 PM
    Hunter acting strange on walks
    The past couple of weeks hunter has been acting strange on our walks. Whenever we pass a person, other dog, car, etc, he whines.. Ive had people tell me "He sounds just like a hound baying" (Wierdest bay I've heard) sometimes its embarressing (he keeps doing it until were away from the thing he was parking at, and it is super loud and usually he gets some strange looks)... I do use a choke chain on him, but have taken classes on how to use them so its not actually hurting him, but he sounds like it is.. Even if I don't use the choker and just his collar he still whines.. its not really a whine.. more of a high pitch bark. Im just wondering what this is and what he is trying to accomplish doing this?

--P.S, even when he is doing this he doesn't pull, he still walks beside me like he is supposed to.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2011, 10:00 AM

Anxiety...
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 5, 2011, 08:24 PM

I agree with Lucky. He's a hound, that howl (called baying) is what hounds do when they've tracked a scent, or when they're anxious. He's still not having his needs fulfilled and that's why he's baying. He's likely scenting. The walks aren't enough.

Chewy bays too, when he's in the yard and catches the scent of something he doesn't like, he'll bay. He'll also bay if he has a lot of pent up energy. A good run or brisk walk usually does the trick, or a game of find the hidden item in the yard does just as well. As a hound he needs to be able to do the job he was bred to do. The bay isn't always a bad thing, but if it sounds like a whine, or pain, it's because he's upset, distressed, anxious. He's not being allowed to do what he's meant to do, what's built into him to do.

Hunter is trying to tell you that he needs more then he's getting.
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2011, 05:33 AM

He bays when were out gopher hunting (and we try and go everyday unless its raining, then it is a couple laps around where I live and home), this is most definantly higher pitched. He is getting out and doing what he needs to (most days it over 2 hours were gone in the field), but I still like his "structured walks" to be there, when he is out hunting I just let him do what he pleases on his cord..

So the reason that his bay is different when he is hunting and when he is going for a walk is anxiety? Should I cut our walks shorter and do more field time?

I also hide his kong in the yard full of peanut butter, wet dog food, or wild meat (deer, goose, crane, whatever my dad has extra in his freezer), he is still learning to look for it, and that when he finds it he is allowed to eat it (he will sit there and wait for me to take it away, give it back, and tell him his eat command)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2011, 01:30 PM

You're a smart girl Emily, figure out what he needs.

If he is acting anxious on a walk, then find out what is wrong. Its not normal for a dog to whine and wimper while being outside... Maybe its too much field work and not enough "structured" walks..
    Pets Expert

Jun 7, 2011, 04:08 PM

I agree with Lucky.

Emily, you love Hunter, I know you do. You do however worry too much.

A working breed, scent hound like Hunter is not for everyone. They need a lot of work. They need a lot of exercise. I've told you before, 2 hours a day isn't enough for a breed like Hunter.

You'll figure it out. Sadly there's no text book "do this, do that, all will be fine" answer that I can give you. You have to find the balance. You know him better then we do. So find what works for both of you. I know you can. :)
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2011, 08:29 PM

I worry so much because I'm scared if I do something wrong he will go back into his aggressive state of mind (which he hasn't been aggressive in awhile now, and you can do anything to provoke him and he doesn't get mad), he gets 2 hours of field time, and about 3 hours of walking (an hour morning, lunch, and before bed), he also goes to the dog park for an hour-an hour and a half a day.

He's such a complicated dog (who is as strong headed as a brick wall), so he has me on my toes at all times, and like I said, I just don't want the past to repeat itself.
    Pets Expert

Jun 8, 2011, 04:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post
    I worry so much because im scared if I do something wrong he will go back into his aggressive state of mind (which he hasnt been aggressive in awhile now, and you can do anything to provoke him and he doesnt get mad), he gets 2 hours of field time, and about 3 hours of walking (an hour morning, lunch, and before bed), he also goes to the dog park for an hour-an hour and a half a day.

He's such a complicated dog (who is as strong headed as a brick wall), so he has me on my toes at all times, and like i said, i just dont want the past to repeat itself.
    Emily, it sounds like you're doing all you can. He'll let you know if he's not happy, trust me. I have a beagle, a hound breed. I know what you mean by "strong headed". They're very stubborn dogs, but they're also very smart, and very driven. If they're fulfilled they're great dogs. If they're not, they can have issues.

I'm lucky. My border collie (also a breed that's goal oriented) wears out my beagle. They play together a lot, and that's how they both expend a lot of their energy. That play is enough for the border collie (Jasper) but not for the beagle (Chewy). Chewy needs more, and we provide that through play, making him use what's bred into him.

It can be hit and miss. It sounds to me like you're doing what you can, and Hunter seems to be doing well. If he continues howling on walks then up the unstructured times. That may be what he needs. I'd do the structured walks after he's good and tired. The more tired he is the better he will do on his structured walks.

I hope this helps. :)
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2011, 10:42 AM

Thanks guys, Ill try and rearrange his schedule a bit and see if I can find something that works.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat is acting strange... [ 5 Answers ]

In the past month my 8 year old cat, liddy has been acting very odd. Specifically within the past week she has been very seclusive. She rarely comes when we call her.. and she almost seems to ignore us! My first though was to take her to the vet.. I thought she might be losing some of her hearing.....

Acting strange. [ 3 Answers ]

My girlfriend looks away or buries her head in my chest when I look at her. Same thing after a kiss as if she is really shy or uncomfortable, but she loves to cuddle on the couch and in bed. I just can't figure her out. When it comes to sex she openly admits to NEVER being in the mood unless she's...

Puppy acting strange! [ 2 Answers ]

So I have an almost 8 months puppy. He is closest to my brother and I, and we spent a lot of time together this summer. But I left for college Friday night and my brother, who still lives at home, started school last week. And my mom just called me and told me that starting Sunday he has been...

Ex acting strange? [ 6 Answers ]

I don't know why but ever since we broke up (2 months ago) she has been acting like a skank... I been looking on her myspace and she has been putting stuff like... I need too get laid soooo badly... I'm another notch on a bedpost but w/e... stuff like that... I think she knows I keep looking at her...

Acting strange [ 2 Answers ]

My dog is acting very strange. She has a toy that all of the sudden she won't leave alone. If she is away from the toy she gets very depressed. I've had her for 2 years and she's never acted like this before. It started about two days ago, and we've had the toy since December. What's wrong with...

View more questions Search