Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    murrielevans Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2011, 02:22 PM
    My brothers and mother are suing me.
    Ten years ago my husband and I brought a house and moved my parents into it to get them out of a house that was falling apart around them. My husband and I made all mortgage, tax and insurance payments on the house. After my father's death a year and a half ago my mother came to live with me as per our agreement. Recently my brother has convinced my mother to move in with him. He obtain a Durable Power of Attorney and hired an Attorney. He has convinced mom that the house should be hers and that I took all of dad's money. I have been a joint owner on my fathers account for the past 15 years. Any money my dad had, less than 50K has been used for my mother's care. The attorney is asking for proof of everything and is threatening to open or file probate for my fathers estate. My question is this. Can probate be started this late and if I give in to my 93 year old mother's request to move back into the house, how difficult will it be to get my brothers out after my mothers death.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 3, 2011, 02:31 PM

Did you keep receipts when you started your mothers care, and did you file income tax returns relfecting this ?
    You need an attorney to sort all of this out, murriel. Coming on here will not give you answers you need to settle your claim. Sure we have lawyers but it isn't going to do you any good. You need direction and that can only be obtained from an attorney in a case like this.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 3, 2011, 04:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by murrielevans View Post
    ... Can probate be started this late ...
    Probably. Depends on which state, of course.

What Tickle said. You need to hire an attorney now.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 3, 2011, 05:36 PM

You made several mistakes. Not probating your father's estate. Possibly not documenting what you paid in support of your mother, etc.

Now you are going to pay for that because you will have to hire an attorney to protect yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the name of a movie about 4-5 brothers and mother who rob banks? [ 1 Answers ]

I remember that their mother(she was blonde) told them to become bank robbers. Many of them get killed after a last bank robbery because it took them a long time! At the end, Mother and her last son were surrounded by the local police and bruttaly killed with lots of bullets.. Please help me!...

Step brothers [ 5 Answers ]

Has anyone seen the new movie step brothers? I wanted to see it but I don't know.. it looked like one of those movies where the only funny parts are the ones in the commercial and then the rest of the movie sux lol. So if you've seen it... what did you think? Is it worth it? Would you watch it...

My fiancˇ's Mother is Suing him for Custody of His Children [ 2 Answers ]

~I am a mess. I have been dating a wonderful father of two, and we desperately want to get married. The problem is his mother. He has been living under her roof to "help" with the children while he finishes school. Since he has been there, she has assumed all responsibility for his children. She...

Loved by two brothers? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm china and I'm the one who wrote last time on the topic "should i give his brother a chance" and the one who wrote "help me plese i'm confused' right now the guy that I truly like is here in the US and well we have been communicating through e-mail. The problem that I have now is that his...

Brothers... [ 28 Answers ]

OK, so I have 5 brothers all very different characters. The oldest Martin, is 35yrs - outgoing, but also laid back, a good sense of humoursettle with kids and we get on well. Darren is about 33yrs very quiet and has a shy factor, but has a great sense of humour, happilt married with children...

View more questions Search