Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lorosza Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2011, 11:40 PM
    Atom
    If an atom is mostly empty space why does matter seem so solid?
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Jun 3, 2011, 02:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorosza View Post
    If an atom is mostly empty space why does matter seem so solid?
    Hi Lorosza,

That is why they built the Large Hadron Collider. If you can come up with answer before they do then you will have completed the standard model of particle physics. It's all about looking for the Higgs Boson.

Google Large Hadron Collider and then Google Higgs Boson. Good luck with it.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 3, 2011, 09:22 AM

A fairly straight forward explanation is that the electromagnetic forces between atoms causes them to repel each other. So when you touch a table with your finger the atoms at the surface of the table and the atoms on the tip of your finger repel each other. The result is that your finger can not pass through the table, and you peceive the table as being solid.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Jun 3, 2011, 03:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    A fairly straight forward explanation is that the electromagnetic forces between atoms causes them to repel each other. So when you touch a table with your finger the atoms at the surface of the table and the atoms on the tip of your finger repel each other. The result is that your finger can not pass through the table, and you peceive the table as being solid.
    Good explanation

Tut

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In the bond between a hydrogen atom and an oxygen atom in a water molecule help pleas [ 1 Answers ]

Complete the gaps in the paragraph below. You may use the words supplied once, more than once or not at all. In the chemical bond between a hydrogen atom and an oxygen atom in a water molecule; the bonding______are not evenly shared between the two atoms. In fact they spend more time in...

What exactly is an atom smasher? [ 18 Answers ]

Okay so I tried googling it, and well I'm no scientist, and I don't understand most of what the articles say. I really do want to know more about this machine. What is it's purpose, and why do people think the world is going to come to an end because of it? ...

The Atom [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys, I have a test tomorrow in chemistry about the atom and there are a few questions I'd like to clear up. Now I've been reading up on something called an "elementary charge" and I can't qutie grasp what it means. Does it mean that a single proton's charge is 1.602 x 10−19 C and a...

What (exactly) the size of an atom [ 1 Answers ]

What (exactly) the size of an atom ? Help

Atom shape [ 1 Answers ]

How does the number of electron pairs around a central atom determine it's shape?

View more questions Search