Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MichaelZam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2011, 02:26 PM
    When applying for a credit card do you put rent or own if you live with your parents?
    I have been asked if I rent or own my house, and how much the mortgage is.. I am not paying mortgage and my parents own my house, so I assume I would put own, and no payments, but I do not know for sure.. I only have options to put own or rent, and I HAVE to put the amount I pay, (from 0-2000 I think it is)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 1, 2011, 03:01 PM

I would print in a third choice that I live rent-free -- or say "college student," etc.

You don't have a mortgage, and you don't pay rent. Don't lie about either.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 1, 2011, 03:02 PM

The problem with saying that you own the house is it implies that you could sell it if you wanted to, but you can't because it's not yours. Actually your parents are leasing the house to you at a rate of $0/month. So I suggest you put down "rent" with $0/month.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 1, 2011, 03:06 PM

No you do not own it, you are renting ( paying 0 dollars rent) since if you are over 18 your parents could evict you like any renter if they wanted to.

Your name would have to be on the mortgage to say that you own it.

Stating you own it, would imply that you are paying or own it yourself, which is not the case

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to know if a credit card company can put a lien on my house. [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I are retired and collecting Social Security. Our home is paid for, but we have credit card debt we cannot pay. Can the credit card company put a lien on our home or get our social security checks?

I live in ks. And live on soc sec. Can a credit card co get a judgement [ 3 Answers ]

I have two unsecured debts of $20,000 each. I live in Kansas and have only social security check for income. One creditor has filed a lawsuit, and one has threatened to get a lien against my home. The only assets I have are my home (with mortgage) and my auto (with a balance). A bankruptcy...

On Credit card with Parents- Parents Leaving me holding the bag [ 3 Answers ]

I got out of a bad relationship and my credit was bad... so my parents offered to take out some credit cards and also put me on some established ones... I am only on there as a signer, authorized user... I charged very little most of the charges were for a business my mom owns... they now have...

Can kids use their parents' credit card? [ 2 Answers ]

Since my parents are out of town, they said I can use their credit card. But is it allowed in the store?:confused:

Can credit card companies put a lien on my house? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I live in Broward county, Florida, I defaulted in three unsecured business loans and two unsecured business credit cards all are guaranteed personally by me, now that the business has failed and the S corporation is dissolved, can these creditors go after me and put a lien on my...

View more questions Search