Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlgray0000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Cracked grout on shower seat
    I am seeking some information regarding a shower seat problem that I have. I'm in a new house (about 8 months old), and the grout at the top of my shower seat (where the top meets the front face) keeps cracking and I believe the tile itself is moving/buckling. I had the same problem in my previous (new home), which ultimately caused us to re-tile the seat. What is the cause of this? Do you have any suggestions to remedy my cracking/buckling shower seat problem? My current seat stretches the length of the back wall and is a full seat all the way to the shower floor. My previous shower had a corner seat which "floated" - again both cracked at the top..
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 28, 2007, 06:55 PM
    The first thing you should do is call your builder. You may have a new home warranty for the first year but even with that you need to be assertive. Your seat was not properly supported from within. They may have just built a box and covered it with plywood. Something is flexing/moving and that's why your grout is popping. The seat will most likely need to be torn open, re-enforced and retiled, regrouted. You can not have any flex or moment with ceramic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete shower floor repair (cracked, leaking & painted) [ 1 Answers ]

I am updating my rough basement bathroom. I have two very young children, a boy and a girl and funds are very limited especially around this time of year. (My daughter is only nine-months and I am already thinking about the bathroom issues between her and my son). The shower has a painted concrete...

Caulk vs. Grout in the shower [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I have a shower with tile on both the walls and floor. It is a natural stone type tile. The grout (at least I think it is grout) at the joint where the wall tile meets the floor tile has turned black with mold and/or mildew and I need to replace it. I think the cause is inadequate...

Shower wall tile grout leaking [ 1 Answers ]

After every shower, carpet corner just outside the shower door is very wet. Shower wall is made of ceramic tile. I covered and taped the wall with large plastic. I didn't see anymore leaks. I removed the plastic and inspected the grouts and corners very closely. I don't see any cracks. Can the...

Caulk or Grout in Glass Enclosed Shower Stall [ 9 Answers ]

I live in an apartment building (I own the apartment I live in). We remodeled the bathroom when we moved in three years ago, and put in a glass enclosed shower stall where a tub once lived. The shower stall has large ceramic tiles on the floor, and smaller differently-styled ceramic tiles...

Leaking tiled shower seat [ 8 Answers ]

A month ago, there was a leak from my second floor tiled shower into the first floor dining room. I had a tile guy come out. He thought it was the tile on the shower seat causing this. He replaced the tile. However, now it is no longer leaking into the first floor ceiling, but the water leaks down...

View more questions Search