Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rainey1313 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2011, 10:18 AM
    My brand new central AC Unit is not blowing cold air
    I have a brand new 4 ton AC unit that is blowing cool air but not cold. It replaced a 3.5 ton that really kept my house nice and cool. The Company that put this unit in along with a new heating system keeps telling me that it is working properly, Yet the temp outside was 84 and the temp inside climbed to 81 and unbearable. He got his little camera hose to put into the vents and said that everything seemed to be working properly but it is hot in my house. I asked if he could turn the temp down on it and he said no. He keeps saying that it is the fact that I have one thermostat and 2 levels. My other AC unit worked fine and you almost had to put a sweater on but was not compatible with the new system. What can I do? The company who installed it says it is fine even though the temp in my house went up to 81.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2011, 11:37 AM

An expert will come along but in the meantime when I had this problem the "test" wasn't the temperature inside the house but the temperature of the air being blown out of the ductwork.

I'd be very unhappy with the installer. Is the unit itself somehow defective, not cycling fast enough, something else? I think you'd have to get someone else in to give you an informed opinion/recomendation, in order to resolve this.
    Rainey1313 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2011, 05:11 AM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    The temperature coming out of the duct work was 50 - 52 when he tested it. I asked him if he could lower the temp and he said no. I asked if he could turn up the fan in the unit and he said no. The first time he came out he said the unit has too much freon so he released some. Now he blames the vents, the return and the thermostat.
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2011, 06:24 AM

I'd be blaming HIM and I'd be proving it by bringing in someone else with some recommendations.

It's "blowing" at 50-52 and not cooling the house down? What's wrong with this picture?

A light just went on - is it freezing up/over and perhaps shutting down?
    great danes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2012, 04:49 PM
    We have a new heat pump put in. It wll not cool the house, the company has came out 11 times. It still does not work. What can I look for to make sure they used the right parts?
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2012, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by great danes View Post
    We have a new heat pump put in. It wll not cool the house, the company has came out 11 times. It still does not work. What can I look for to make sure they used the right parts?
    Call an independent and ask him to check it.
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

Aug 4, 2012, 11:32 AM
    Wow, some companies are still getting away with this crap.

When you upsized your unit (sounds like you really didn't need to) it changes the balance of the air. If the unit is too large it will short cycle. i.e. the unit will blow really cold air (like your 50-55degrees) but will turn on an off so quickly that it will not dehumidify the air.

Your problem is so blatent that I would love to be there when the tech answers your qestions. He is an idiot or ignorant or both. Call them out and hold them to the fire. It is new and you should be looking at icicles on the ceiling! For zzzzz sake

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My central heat and air unit is blowing cold air. The fan cycles on and off but no he [ 3 Answers ]

My central heat and air unit is blowing cold air. The fan cycles on and off but no heat. Really cold today

My brand new oil heater is blowing out cold air, why? [ 0 Answers ]

I had a brand new oil furnace put in on April 21, 2011. Not even a month later and it has been blowing out cold air when set on heat and auto. I also have central air, but the brand new thermostat is set on heat and the air coming out of the vents is cold. I have a half tank of oil so its not...

Philco central heater only blows cold air, and will not stop blowing cold air. [ 0 Answers ]

Philco central heater only blows cold air when it should be blowing hot air. And it will not stop blowing even when I turn off the heat. The fan is not on it is on auto.

New compressor or new central air unit?-and what brand [ 5 Answers ]

I am just told, here in Phoenix, that my compressor is shot. :( My AC unit is a 3 ton, roof top, and is 23 years old. I can get a new compressor for which is covered by my warranty except for the incidentals which I understand can get up there, EPA fee, freon, etc. or a new unit. I am told that...

View more questions Search