Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    margie4697 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2011, 05:26 PM
    My grown daughter excludes me from her life.
    I am a 63 year old grandmother of two grown grand girls. I was always very close to them. My daughter(their mother) has always had issues with me. I listen to her complaints and try to change but then the complaints change. My oldest grandchild is having her first baby. I was looking forward to being a great grandmother. I doubt I will be given a chance.
    We will get a long for awhile and then the smallest thing will upset her and she withdraws for a long time and cuts me out of her life.
    She has hurt me and manipulated me so much that I cannot feel any love for her anymore. Myheart is literally breaking in two.
    This really isn't a pity party. The girls are grown now and able to have a relationship with me if they want. I am tired of just being tolerated. Why can't I have a little pride and just move on?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 1, 2011, 08:53 AM

I think all of us parents with grand kids share your feelings, but they have lives to deal with, and can't spend the time we like with us involved. For whatever reason you don't spend time with the grand kids, or children, they way you want, balance it with the understanding they are young and can barely handle their own business, and have different priorities and things on their mind. That may change in the future, but for now just know what they are going through, having been there, done that.

This is your time to be built around you and what you want now for yourself since you probably sacrificed a whole lot raising them. Do your thing, and enjoy it, that's what the wife and I do, after we rested from all the work we did raising kids and grand kids. We started doing what we were not able to do before, and enjoying our freedom, as we are just starting to get use to the idea that they have their own thing to do without us.

And you better have your fun while you can, because they will be back, rest assured, they just have not gotten to that point yet. Let them miss you. That's not a bad thing. Have your own great time without them, while you can. That's what we are doing.

Feels good not to play mom, dad, and have no responsibility except to ourselves.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jun 2, 2011, 06:41 PM

Good advice and wise words Tal.

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Manipulating grown daughter that has her own children and does not want to take rese [ 2 Answers ]

My grown daughter in the past abused precrip drugs other druges and drank she has been doing well but still makes me feel guilty, she borrowed my sons first car never gave it back had been getting tickets, and I stupidly put insc on it till I do not know when I told her she needed to chang the...

I have been ignored by my grown up daughter for nearly a year [ 14 Answers ]

I am a divorced parent have been on my own for quite a few years now. My ex left me and my 2 children then aged 7 and 11. I struggled to bring the children up did not get any or much help from the father. Anyway to cut a long story short I lost my son at the tender age of 21 it was a party that...

Mother pushing boundaries of full grown daughter [ 1 Answers ]

Im in my 50's. I am an independent ,mature adult who is well respected by all who know me. I decided a few years ago that my mothers lying, breaking promises, telling people my personal information that threatened my security and more things she did that I told her was detrimental to our getting...

Troubled grown daughter [ 19 Answers ]

My daughter had a biracial daughter. It was a beyond a shock. I love this child with all my heart, but my daughter treats me horrible. She never has anything to do with me unless she needs me to babysit. Today was the worst. We will probably never speak again. I can't reach her.

Grown daughter [ 31 Answers ]

I have a grown married daughter who left the country 2 years ago. She seems to have become very distant since she and her husband started their family. Our telephone conversations are fine, but our visits are stressful. I think she feels that she has to prove to her husband that she is strong and...

View more questions Search