Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mulattomama Posts: 36, Reputation: 7

May 31, 2011, 10:35 AM
    Cheap or free marriage counseling in Chicago
    Does anyone know where to get cheap or free marriage counseling in Chicago? My husband and I are having a lot of problems in our marriage and we definitely need some professional help to work through them. Problem is... money is part of the problem and we can't really afford to pay a lot for marriage counseling.

Also do you know of any sites that reccommend/rate marriage counsellors? We've seen someone in the past and we really liked her (she's no longer practicing unfortunately), but we had to go through 2 others to find the 'right' fit.

We really want to try to work through our issues and they're getting worse and affecting our marriage so terribly, but it's daunting when we don't have a lot to spend. I would say we're a middle class average income family, but it very tough at times (as it is for everyone).

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. So thanks!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 31, 2011, 11:52 AM

I'm in the Chicago suburbs.

Are you in Cook or DuPage? The Chicago metro area or a suburb?

Lutheran Social Services http://www.lssi.org/index.aspx (and you don't have to be Lutheran) offers counseling on a sliding scale at these locations -- "West/Northwest Suburban Counseling and Education Center, Villa Park (neighborhood counseling sites are located in Berwyn, Des Plaines, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, Prospect Heights and Wheaton)."

Many social workers and counselors in agencies and working free-lance will offer a sliding scale based on income. DuPage County (if you live in it) has a human resources department with sliding scale counseling at a number of satellite offices scattered throughout the county. I'm guessing Cook County has similar counseling and social services sites. Various priests and ministers will offer counseling that you can afford and won't insist you become a member of their church.

Let me know how else I can help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will marriage counseling help save our marriage/ relationship? [ 4 Answers ]

We have no children yet, but we both want them very badly, we miscarried a year and a half ago, we've been married for almost 5 years, together for almost 12. We have never been so disconnected in every way. He seems to always be on defense, and handles things in an immature manner for being almost...

I need free counseling or something but can't find it [ 2 Answers ]

I think I suffer from depression I can't do group sessions I wouldn't feel comfortable. I don't have a job or money and I'm twenty and don't drive live in cuyahoga falls Ohio

Marriage counseling [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, My husband is confused and don't understand me this days everything I do he takes it in wrong way, we're 10 year of age different His 40 I'm 30 and I have 12 years old son and 6 years old daughter Past 3 years I see a different on his behavior and more selfishness on him This days the...

Free Christian counseling course [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for resources for free christian-oriented counseling courses which may or may not lead to certificate or degree. Courses which help one learn the counseling process.

Finding Free Counseling [ 1 Answers ]

Does any one have advice or guidance for finding free, local, emotional counseling and therapy, that is reliable and good? There is some information on the internet but how can one know which way to go and which organization offers good services? So, if you've had experiences with a certain...

View more questions Search