Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 31, 2011, 06:33 AM
    Climate Change?
    Hello:

I seem to recall that when it was cold, the climate change deniers said, LOOK at that. It's cold. Global warming MUST be a hoax...

Ok, LOOK at that. Massive flooding in the mid west, massive drought in the south west, unending tornadoes, and a humongous snow pack. If we have a hot June, the west will flood. This is ANYTHING, but normal. Hurricane season is just around the corner... Whaddya want to bet that we see a couple of Katrina's?

I've been WARNING about crossing the threshold into the abyss. Now we have. Maybe it's too late to STOP throwing our garbage into the air. But, we oughta do it anyway, just in case.

excon
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 31, 2011, 06:57 AM
    Saw this today, thought it was cool:

smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 31, 2011, 06:58 AM

Blame the chicken little crowd for using junk science and questionable data to back up their claims. And their constant flip flopping claiming when it get hot... that's global warming... and when it gets colder that's global warming too.

A good volcanic eruption puts more greenhouse gasses into the air than everything man has done has. Perhaps me digging those holes to plant more trees in my back your caused those Volcano's to erupt halfway around the world.

Never mind the fact the average mean temp has been decreasing for the last decade. And getting more snow in the winter doesn't mean its getting warmer. It means its getting colder. And we are actually returning to the larger and more frequent snowfalls that we had when I was younger. And I'm younger than you are but I remember them.

How about The ENTIRE west coast give up ALL their cars and everything that uses fossil fuels for a decade... lets see if that helps or hurts the situation. We hear so much about " The greater good" from them. Lets see them do it first. And see how many are really going to practice what they preach for a change.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 31, 2011, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Saw this today, thought it was cool:

Ha ha ha... that's actually a pretty funny commercial. Haven't seen that before.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2011, 08:10 AM

'Climate change happens '. I am looking for that bumper sticker if there is one out there.

You are right that all reasonable means should be taken to reduce human emissions ;garbage ,whatever you like to call it.

CO2 is not one of those harmful emissions .
    In fact ,recent studies show increased CO2 in the atmosphere is more related to cooling cycles.

Recent studies prove that CO 2 cannot possibly cause increased temperatures. The reverse appears to be the case. The more CO 2 in the atmosphere results in lower temperatures as CO 2 attains only 4/5ths of the atmospheric temperature. If you want to increase atmospheric temperature you have to increase water vapour, not CO 2 .

Ice core studies show that during the 1800s, CO 2 levels reached up to 450 parts per million. Far above IPCC levels of 280 parts per million. Each spike in CO 2 followed an increase in temperature. It did not precede temperature increases.
    CO 2 not causing climate change The Gisborne Herald | Gisborne's latest News, Sport, Family Notices, Photos and Events

Even your Michael Mann's of the world cannot link tornadoes to climate change no matter how much they fudge the numbers .

It is generally agreed that the weather pattern we've seen has more to do with Pacific occilation between el nino and la nina.

Droughts in the Plains were around when the combustion engine was a new concept and few people drove. Flooding the Mississippi delta occurred long before levees were constructed to hold the river back. Part of the overall fertility of the land was the routine flooding that occurred.
    Uber Member

May 31, 2011, 08:25 AM

Hello again, tom:

Had to go all the way to Grisbane to find another denier, huh? Even so, I SEE your expert WRITES about studies, but I don't see any LINKS to them... Any expert worth his salt provides LINKS to the studies he cites. Everybody else just flaps their gums.

Ho hum...

excon

PS> You know, of course, that you can find people who swear the earth is flat. I'll bet they even have studies...
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2011, 09:07 AM

That's one more link than was provided in the op.

But I'll provide the study the author was probably basing the article on. It's called 'Cooling of Atmosphere Due to CO2 Emission'. It was conducted by G. V. Chilingar and L. F. Khilyuk of the Rudolf W. Gunnerman Energy and Environment Laboratory, University of
    Southern California, Los Angeles, California, and O. G. Sorokhtin of the Institute of Oceanology of Russian Academy of Sciences

Cooling of Atmosphere Due to CO2 Emission – clothcap2 - My Telegraph

PS> You know, of course, that you can find people who swear that CO2 causes atmospheric warming .I'll bet they even have studies...
    Studies that were proven to be fraudulent that is.
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

May 31, 2011, 10:05 AM

It's really interesting to see this brought up, because the conversation among academics regarding climate change is very different.

Among my science professors, the whole "man made global warming" thing was a joke. But, that's because they all study millions of years worth of geological data that shows how the world's climate is a revolving thing.

I personally have no expertise on the issue. I just know that I would like to see us lower our impact and it would be great to see each person take personal responsibility in respecting our planet. The forests, fishes and other endangered species would certainly appreciate it.

Southy out.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2011, 04:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    that's one more link than was provided in the op.

But I'll provide the study the author was probably basing the article on. It's called 'Cooling of Atmosphere Due to CO2 Emission'. It was conducted by G. V. Chilingar and L. F. Khilyuk of the Rudolf W. Gunnerman Energy and Environment Laboratory, University of
    Southern California, Los Angeles, California, and O. G. Sorokhtin of the Institute of Oceanology of Russian Academy of Sciences

Cooling of Atmosphere Due to CO2 Emission – clothcap2 - My Telegraph

PS> You know, of course, that you can find people who swear that CO2 causes atmospheric warming .I'll bet they even have studies...
    studies that were proven to be fraudulent that is.
    The one thing I find interesting about the content of your post is that CO2 absorbing heat is an unproven theory
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 31, 2011, 04:35 PM

To me its all about the sun and what has been happening over time. We are approching a critical time for our solar system and we are passing through the center of our galaxy (closest to the center) so its no wonder the weather has been getting a little weird.

Changing Sun, Changing Climate

U.S. Global Change Research Information Office

Climate Change Science

BTW. The most accurate predictor of long range weather (The Farmers Almanac) also uses in its prediction that of sun activity.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2011, 06:52 PM
    Can't say what galactic effects might be but we need to be much more concerned about our own volcanic history. The predominant weather on Earth is Ice age interrupted with brief warmer periods, we should be thankful for the warmer periods
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2011, 02:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    To me its all about the sun and what has been happening over time. We are approching a critical time for our solar system and we are passing through the center of our galaxy (closest to the center) so its no wonder the weather has been getting alittle weird.

Changing Sun, Changing Climate

U.S. Global Change Research Information Office

Climate Change Science

BTW. The most accurate predictor of long range weather (The Farmers Almanac) also uses in its prediction that of sun activity.
    Yes ;there is a growing theory that solar activity (sunspot minimums ,maximums ) has a major impact on earth warming /cooling .
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2011, 02:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    cant say what galatic effects might be but we need to be much more concerned about our own volcanic history. The predominant weather on Earth is Ice age interrupted with brief warmer periods, we should be thankful for the warmer periods
    Indeed I think there is a case for the proposition that we are still coming out of the last ice age .
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Jun 1, 2011, 03:00 AM

CO2 is not one of those harmful emissions .
    In fact ,recent studies show increased CO2 in the atmosphere is more related to cooling cycles.

Hi Tom,

I'm glad you worked that out because the sentence," The more CO2 in the atmosphere results in lower temperatures as CO2 attains only 4/5 of the atmospheric temperature". The sentence is rather clumsy for a number of reasons.

On this basis I am not sure how you can draw any meaningful conclusions from the statement without clarification.Does he mean the atmosphere 'gets' 4/5 of its temperature from CO2? Or, does he mean that the atmosphere 'retains' 4/5 of its temperature in the presence of CO2?

Tut
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2011, 03:37 AM

You'd have to ask him about that specifics . His point was clear however . If the question is which came 1st ;C02 levels increasing or a rise in temps ;ice core samples show the rising temps were 1st .
    The sequence of events during Termination III suggests that the CO2 increase lagged Antarctic deglacial warming by 800 ± 200 years and preceded the Northern Hemisphere deglaciation.
    Timing of Atmospheric CO2 and Antarctic Temperature Changes Across Termination III

CO2 increases in the atmosphere was 800 more or less years later after the warming .
    Surely that should be something that the climate scientists would find relevant . Maybe they should be looking for the initial cause of the warming to find out if humans have had any impact at all.
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2011, 05:15 AM
    Indeed I think there is a case for the proposition that we are still coming out of the last ice age .
    Hello again, tom:

So there IS science you believe... As long as the science AGREES with your politics. I'd like the earth to be flat - therefore, it IS.

excon

Jun 1, 2011, 05:15 AM
    You'd have to ask him about that specifics . His point was clear however . If the question is which came 1st ;C02 levels increasing or a rise in temps ;ice core samples show the rising temps were 1st .
    I see. In other words, for CO2 to cause global warming the CO2 must come first. CO2 concentrations were significant after a warming period.
    Therefore, CO2 levels have nothing to do with global warming.

And, you are happy with this?

Tut
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2011, 05:23 AM

I see. In other words, for CO2 to cause global warming the CO2 must come first. CO2 concentrations were significant after a warming period.
    Therefore, CO2 levels have nothing to do with global warming.

And, you are happy with this?
    I don't start with the assumption that CO2 causes global warming . That hypthothesis has more holes in it than swiss cheese.

Hello again, tom:

So there IS science you believe... As long as the science AGREES with your politics. I'd like the earth to be flat - therefore, it IS.
    That appears to be the case with the proponents of AGW being a human caused event. We as a people have already spent billions of dollars in tax money in support of that political "science ".
    You can call me a science denier all you want and it won't make it so.

Jun 1, 2011, 05:42 AM
    I don't start with the assumption that CO2 causes global warming . That hypthothesis has more holes in it than swiss cheese.
    Hi Tom,

A hypothesis is only a proposed explanation of phenomena. I think you mean the methodology is full of holes.

Tut
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2011, 06:17 AM
    [QUOTE=;][/QUOTE
    The mythodology is proven fraudulent with manipulating data,and "hiding declines " , to conform with predetermined results .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another rift in the Climate Change ranks [ 11 Answers ]

It seems the idea that man can affect the outcome in dealing with climate change is rapidly coming apart, even the guy who started the idea of global warming says nothing will be achieved at Copenhagen because the approach is fundamentally flawed Global warming 'godfather' goes cold on...

Climate change causes political revolt [ 25 Answers ]

An impending vote on cap and trade legislation has caused a revolt in the Australian parliament which could spill leadership of the key opposition party as the government attempts to stitch up its position ahead of Copenhagen. Abbott to challenge Turnbull This revolt is led by climate change...

Climate change scam uncovered? [ 75 Answers ]

Someone has seemingly hacked emails from the University of East Anglia Climate Research Unit that appear to show a conspiracy to hide data that doesn't fit the climate change rhetoric. And yes, the director of the unit has said the emails seem to be genuine. Some samples: Hiding and...

EU Agrees Climate Change [ 95 Answers ]

Hello Today ahead of a meeting in Copenhagen it was agreed that the EU will fund the improvement of the newer states to help them bring into line their emissons News Sniffer - Revisionista 'EU strikes climate funding deal' diff viewer (2/3) The essence is the EU will offer some 100bn...

Climate change 'crisis' clearing up [ 25 Answers ]

With a hat tip to Walter Williams for the heads up, from Senator James Inhofe's blog... As Williams points out this is nothing new - but it is getting clearer that behind this whole climate change 'crisis' is an agenda to be furthered at all cost, much like the left's obsession with...

View more questions Search