Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snowball12 Posts: 141, Reputation: 0

May 30, 2011, 02:23 PM
    Lancaster Puppies.
    There is a website called "www.Lancasterpuppies.com". So I was wondering if the same company had a pet store that I could visit in real like to actually see the puppies! PLEASE HELP! I could really use the help! Thanks!

THANKS YOU SOOO MUCH!

P.S. this is the link... http://lancasterpuppies.com/
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 30, 2011, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by snowball12 View Post
    So I was wondering if the same company had a pet store that I could visit in real like to actually see the puppies!
    No, there's no store. The site clearly says --

LancasterPuppies.com is an Internet Classified site- we do not raise or sell puppies. Remember that you are buying directly from the breeder/seller and not from LancasterPuppies.com.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2011, 02:41 PM

You don't want a puppy store puppy. There are lots of problems that come with them such as genetic issues, medical issues and behavioral issues.. Probably some other issues I am missing.

I definitely push the idea to go and see puppies before buying, but be sure that the breeder is a good breeder and isn't selling sick dogs.

Stay away form online ads.. They're as bad as the pet stores. Local newspaper ads and word of mouth are a good way to find a good quality dog in your area.

May 31, 2011, 10:58 AM
    Thanks so much for your help! I have a question :)... Say I wanted this dog...

http://lancasterpuppies.com/content/...puppies/rosie-

What would I do to get it? If I wanted to go get it and bring it to my house myself... how would I know where to find her?

Under the picture of the dog there is a thing that says.. "Zip code or city where puppy is located"
    Then under that It has an address... is that where I go?

Thanks!
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

May 31, 2011, 02:04 PM

Right under the picture there is a description. In that paragraph is a phone number to call for more information. You call that and ask them the questions.

May 31, 2011, 04:26 PM
    Thanks! And also... other than this website... does anybody know of any good website to buy a dog? One that would be healthy! Oh.. and I DO want a puppy not a dog.. thanks!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 31, 2011, 04:41 PM

Is there an animal shelter near you? This is kitten and puppy season. If you adopt a puppy from a shelter, the cost will be reasonable, the dog would have had his first shots and deworming already, you'd get to meet his mom and siblings, and you would be able to find out his history.

The best things about adopting a shelter puppy is that you can see other puppies and find the right one for you, plus you will be saving a life.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 31, 2011, 04:48 PM

I'm not sure about websites, but figured I could pass along some friendly advice for choosing a puppy.

How exciting! A new puppy! I know how exciting it can be, I just recently adopted a new puppy.Lots of work! When you are choosing to buy from a breeder, it's always best to do some research, ask them what kind of genetic testing they do, ask about hip and eye scores (any reputable breeder will fork out the money to make sure they are breeding top of the line dogs, BYB's ((back yard breeders)) usually forgo any sort of genetic testing). It's also best to ask to visit the breeders home to see where and how the dogs are kept. Make sure to note that out door/kenneled dogs may be harder to house train. Make sure to find out what the health guarantee is, and make sure they have had their first set of needles and vet visit. Make sure to find out if you will be getting a copy of his vet records. Again, reputable breeders will have no issue providing these things.

Another thing to take into consideration is the mixed breed/designer breeds out there. A cross between two purebred dogs. The thing with having a true pure bred is that they have been bred over many generations, to breed true. This is beneficial in that, when you buy a purebred dog you know what you are getting. You know how big your puppy will grow and you know basically what type of temperament and care the dog will need.

When you breed two different types of purebred dogs together you can get any combination of any of the characteristics found in either breed. The temperament, look and health issues are basically a total guess. Of course you run the risk of buying an un predictable pure bred, the chances are much less. (Think Biology and punnet squares and different traits, many more possibilities with two different parents).

Most importantly, research the breed you would like to own. Millions of dogs and cats die each year in shelters, due to irresponsible pet owners and BYB's. The more you know about your breed, the easier it will be for you to train.

Good luck, and please keep us posted! We LOVE pictures :D

May 31, 2011, 04:54 PM
    Oh! That's so sweet( how you said that I would be saving a life!)if I were to get a puppy on August, September, or October, would they still have reasonable prices? And also... could you name some pet shelters? Are the puppies healthy when they are in pet shelters? Thanks you!

May 31, 2011, 05:02 PM
    Thanks you Aurora_bell! Thanks for being so nice with me! I have been begging for a puppy for a long time! And finally.. I think I am ACTUALLY getting on in September or October! I am really excited! I really love puppies and I am willing to take care of it (even the dirty work). My mom says that we have to get a girl(because of its "you know what". Hahaha. So I wanted to get a baby girl! So I would have her for a long time! So thanks you for being excited with me! I appreciate it! And I will keep with you guys posted with pictures!

Thanks you!

May 31, 2011, 05:17 PM
    Comment on Aurora_Bell's post
    What would you suggest... I pure breed, or mixed breed?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 31, 2011, 05:21 PM
    Oh! Thats so sweet( how you said that I would be saving a life!)if i were to get a puppy on August, September, or October, would they still have reasonable prices? and also... could you name some pet shelters? are the puppies healthy when they are in pet shelters? Thanks you!
    Google using "[your town] animal shelters" (without quote marks) as your keywords. There is a shelter in Madison (St. Hubert's Animal Welfare Center - St. Hubert's Giralda Home) and one in East Hanover (Mount Pleasant Animal Shelter celebrating 35 years of caring for homeless cats and dogs in New Jersey.). There's also Morristown Animal Control, but I'm not sure if they have a shelter where they house abandoned pets and puppies.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 31, 2011, 05:51 PM

It's yours and your families preference whether you decide on pure bred or mixed. Both types of dogs have many different pro's and con's. I used to have pure bred dogs, they were wonderful dogs, I now focus more on rescue. :) I have 2 beautiful rescues now (who happen to be mixed breeds), one was an adult dog when I got her the other a pup. I actually just lost a pure bred rescue I had since he was a very young pup. He passed away at the good old age of 12. I don't have anything against pure bred or buying from breeders, in fact I am looking at buying an English Bulldog, and I am thinking of trying my hand a showing, after being inspired by another dogs expert on this site ;) I always like to promote adopting from a shelter, as like WG mentioned it really does save a life!

To answer your questions about rescue pups and dogs, yes most of the dogs have gone to see the vet (and healthy), they are up to date with vaccines (preventing them from catching deadly diseases) as well as they come spayed or neutered. The usual cost for an adopted dog runs anywhere from $160-$250, which is very reasonable considering the actual cost of a new puppy. (cost of puppy from breeder, vaccines, check ups, flea and worm treatment, registering, spay/neuter all adds up very quickly).

I am glad to hear you are so committed to helping your family with the new pup and all the duties that follow. Were there any specific breeds that you were interested in? And do you mind if I ask how old you are? I got my first "own" dog when I was 16. It was so much fun, but so much work! Lol

Jun 3, 2011, 06:16 AM
    That's so cool... did you get the dog for your sweet 16? Also, what dog do you prefer for me? Because I have NO IDEA what kind of dog I am getting!

P.S. Im sorry that I didn't reply sooner! :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 3, 2011, 07:27 AM
    thats so cool... did you get the dog for your sweet 16? also, what dog do you prefer for me? because i have NO IDEA what kind of dog i am getting!
    Is there a way you and your parents could visit a nearby shelter soon and check out the dogs -- not to get one yet, but just look them over and ask questions of the shelter people? That might help you get an idea of personalities and breed characteristics and where to go for doggy school. For instance, some dogs like to herd and some like to be in constant motion and some like to chew and some like to dig in the dirt. My friend's little dog is adorable, but every time he sees a squirrel (which is about his size), he goes nuts, wanting to chase it and kill it!

Also, go to your library and check out books on dogs (636.7).

Rather than getting a puppy, you might do better with a young dog who has had some training already, so you don't have to start from scratch. And even though purebreds are available at a shelter, often the best and most agreeable dogs are the "mutts." Click on those links I gave you and check out those doggies' cute little faces and read about them!

Jun 3, 2011, 12:20 PM
    How long will puppies live? Will they live longer than dogs because they are younger? Or will they die earlier? I don't really know too much! :)

Jun 3, 2011, 12:29 PM
    Comment on snowball12's post
    also.. look at this...

http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?N=21+30+25&Ne=5&Nf=coords|GCGT+40.320573256 65%2C-74.5142+-1&Ns=coords%2840.32057325665%2C-74.5142%29||shelter_name||animal_type||pet_breed_1 ||pet_breed_2||identifier&Ntk=animal_type|record_t ype|status&Ntt=Dog|pet|A&distance=0&lat=40.3205732 5665&location=new+jersey&lon=-74.5142&pet_breed

Jun 3, 2011, 12:30 PM
    Comment on snowball12's post
    Copy this link at put it in you "search box"
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 3, 2011, 12:31 PM
    How long will puppies live? Will they live longer than dogs because they are younger? Or will they die earlier? I dont really know to much! :)
    Puppies are baby dogs. A puppy can die because of a disease called parvo. A grown-up dog can die if it's hit by a car. When people adopt a puppy, they don't know if that animal will die early from a disease or live its full life. We who love animals do our best to take care of them and help them live for a long time.

I may be wrong (I'm a cat person), but I think the average life span for a dog is twelve years. A dog is a pudgy and cute little wiggly puppy for a very short time, less than six months. And every dog deserves to be trained so he feels part of his family and knows how to behave. I know one family that, once the cute puppy got to be big and not cute any longer, they tied him to a tree in the back yard and had nothing to do with him except to feed him. He was a very sad and lonely dog.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 3, 2011, 12:34 PM

Copy this link at put it in you "search box"

That link comes up with an error message, so I can't see what you found. Petfinder is a good way to look for dogs and cats to adopt.

Smitten by Kittens (shelter in your town) has dogs available too, I see.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Where to get married quick and easy in lancaster county Pennsylvania [ 5 Answers ]

Where to get married quick and easy in lancaster county Pennsylvania

Puppies [ 6 Answers ]

my sister and I have been wanting a little maltese or a yorkie for about 2 months, and my mom doesn't care if we get one, but we r trying to convince him into getting a dog. does anyone know any good tips on how to convince parents into getting a dog?? also, does anyone know where to find...

Puppies [ 1 Answers ]

My pug had two puppies they are now 8 1/2 weeks old. One just went to her new home today now the other puppy is acting kind of sad is it normal?

View more questions Search