Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharper11 Posts: 369, Reputation: 102

May 30, 2011, 09:53 AM
    Air Conditioning upstairs in Townhouse not cooling, any ideas?
    We have central air condition in our townhouse. The downstairs is very cool, but the upstairs is warm. On a hot night (80 or above) my wife and I are forced to sleep downstairs. Any ideas?

The vents upstairs are open. The second bedroom (furthest travel for the air) barely blows out air. I know it's typical for the upstairs to be warmer, but this seems a little extreme.

RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 30, 2011, 10:02 AM

Look close at your lines going to the upstairs to be sure that no "levers" are closed or only partially open. Also check those lines to be sure that there are no gaps where forced air comes out before it gets to those upstairs rooms.

Is this the first year that you have run into this problem?

How long have you lived there?

May 30, 2011, 10:05 AM
    Comment on RickJ's post
    First year here. Moved in November. -- I'll check what you have suggested. There is a big difference between downstairs and upstairs. :/

May 30, 2011, 10:07 AM
    Comment on RickJ's post
    Not to sound like a moron, but what do you mean by lines? (Assuming you mean the duct)
    Uber Member

May 30, 2011, 10:14 AM

Yes, start at the inside unit and follow the ducts that go to the upstairs.

If it's your first year there, then you may be finding that your a/c package is not strong enough to adequately cool the upstairs... but start with the simple stuff to be sure that no lines are turned off or have gaps. If you find gaps where air is blowing out (in the lines going to upstairs) seal them with foil duct tape.

May 31, 2011, 06:46 AM
    Comment on RickJ's post
    Awesome. It seems as though the airflow is OK to the upstairs accept for 1 room (The furthest travel for the air). And , I'm not quite sure, but that same room seems to have air blowing out of what looks like an intake (the cover is an intake cover) but there is not air blowing out of the vent cover (I'm just assuming someone put the wrong covers on). Thanks for your feedback RickJ! --- BTW, the attic is REALLY hot, I break a sweat immediately going up there. Should there be a vent in the attic?
    Uber Member

May 31, 2011, 06:53 AM

No, do NOT try to heat or cool your attic.

Let us know how it goes with getting some more flow to that room upstairs.

May 31, 2011, 06:54 AM
    Comment on RickJ's post
    Good to know :)

Jun 1, 2011, 06:42 AM
    Comment on RickJ's post
    I turned off ALL but 1 vent downstairs. Checked for a leak (no leaks from what I can tell). The Second bedroom (last with airflow) is in an odd location in the house. It is the only vent that does not come off "Metal Ducts", there is actually an Insulated / flexible / round (black) "duct" (not metal) extending from the metal duct through the attic and into the ceiling of that room. All other rooms upstairs have vents on the floor. (make sense why the room is getting poor airflow). --- It was done because of where the steps are positioned in relation to the Duct work. That bedroom is located overtop of metal ducts. (make sense). I flipped the switch to the ceiling fan upstairs so that it pull air up, last night seemed cooler, I'm hoping this balances the airflow. Unfortunately, I do not have money for a major change to the AC.
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2011, 07:46 AM

Now you see why that room is not getting good flow. The line to it is very long, and the air that goes through it is getting "heated up" while it's going through the attic.

Typically the room with the longest run will get the least heat or cooling from the system... and then to boot you have the line getting warmed up or cooled down by being in the attic before it reaches the room.

All you can do is use ceiling fans well and partially close some of the other vents to try to force more air into the room where it's bad.

Jun 1, 2011, 08:12 AM
    Comment on RickJ's post
    Thanks for your advice Rick. In the future, I will be looking to upgrade the AC/Heat.. . When I have the means to finance it.
    shad3113 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2012, 06:17 PM
    Also u might try a vent fan in the attic in summer the hat air gets trapped up there with no where to go so that in turn makes the upstairs hotter I installed one and noticed a big difference

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 story townhouse in need of better circulation (cooling) upstairs. [ 4 Answers ]

I have over the years added help in the attic to get the hot air out so cool air will rise and cool upstairs better. We are in need of a total replacement of all components. What do I need to consider as I bring this issue up with H/A pros.

My air conditioning is not cooling the house. [ 0 Answers ]

My air conditioning is not cooling the house. We had a major storm here the night before, but it seemed to be working through the night. I left early the next morning. When returning home the afternoon-the house was hot. I opened the circuit breaker panel and noticed some of the switches were on...

Air conditioning not cooling [ 0 Answers ]

Smoke alarm went off then smelled wires burning for 2 minutes,then I called air man he was booked,so I talked to a retired air man he said go buy some coil cleaner,then turn off unit,clean then rinse off with low pressure water ,repeat it helped ours,cause it said hi on our thermeter,after we...

Upstairs vs Downstairs Air Conditioning Settings [ 3 Answers ]

My upstairs aircondition is set to 78 and the downstairs is set to 76 which I believe is correct. Issue is that upstairs seems much colder then 78 although the temp on the unit indicates otherwise. So my question is first, are the two degrees the appropriate settings and second, if it does seem...

Air conditioning cooling load [ 2 Answers ]

How we calculate the cooling load of a space for air conditioning

View more questions Search