Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

May 30, 2011, 04:01 AM
    Animal abuse (dog)
    I am very friendly with my neighbors (weddings, showers, etc) but the fifteen year old son got a dog. The parents forbid it in the house so they keep this pit bull
    Puppy on a three foot leash on the desk. It's pouring out now and the dog is
    Actually howling. He walks the dog every once in a while, but mostly it goes on
    The deck and they clean it up. They don't leave water until another neighbor
    Who sees the deck yelled at him. His sisters are afraid of the dog. They said
    In their country (the Caribbean) dogs walk in the streets and don't live in
    Houses. This dog is not allowed in the house. If I report it to the Animal
    Control they will put it down. They put down over 700 cats and dogs a month.
    I live in Brooklyn, New York. Is he better off being put down to this life of
    Being chained up 23 hours a day.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 30, 2011, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jammy23 View Post
    If I report it to the Animal Control they will put it down.
    Hello jammy:

No, they'll find a NICE home for him... Make the call!

excon
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 30, 2011, 07:31 AM

Definitely call them.

Usually on a first call they will assess the property and tell the owners to clean up their act. Walk the dog, provide it with proper shelter and water etc.

If they continue to do the wrong thing then the dog will be seized and if it passes a health and behavior test, will be rehomed.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 30, 2011, 07:32 AM

Try contacting the ASPCA or another no kill shelter. I am not sure id NY follows BSL, but there are other no kill animal shelters available in your area. Please use this link to report animal cruelty in NYC.

ASPCA | Report Animal Cruelty

May 30, 2011, 08:28 AM
    Comment on Aurora_Bell's post
    Thank you for your response. I don't know what BSL is but I can tell you that the ASPCA is not a no-kill shelter. There are no kill shelters and they are all full. The Animal Control in the area, where the police would bring him is a kill place (I can't even call it a shelter).

May 30, 2011, 08:33 AM
    Comment on shazamataz's post
    You must be dreaming. Maybe in Australia they do this, but not here... I wish you were right.

May 30, 2011, 08:36 AM
    Comment on excon's post
    What planet do you live on? I wish I were there. I know all about animal control. They just fired someone in
    A high position because she reported how they function. They don't have enough food for the animals so since
    They are killing them anyway, they don't bother to feed them. The conditions are apaulling (sp?)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 30, 2011, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jammy23 View Post
    What planet do you live on?
    Hello again, jammy:

Yeah, I was lying.. I just wanted you to make the call, and you looked like you weren't. You STILL look like you're not going to.

I look at it like this... If you do NOTHING, the dog will surly die, and it will be a HORRIBLE death. If you call, at least there's a CHANCE that he'll live and/or find a new home. If not, he will be put down humanely.

If you're NOT going to call, why did you even ask us? Did you want me to tell you to go over there are RESCUE him, or tell your neighbor to TAKE CARE of his blanking dog?? Ok, DO IT!

excon
    Dogs Expert

May 30, 2011, 08:51 AM

Well, if there is no one you can call, are you willing to take on the responsibility of owning a dog? Confront them yourself, explain that you have noticed that the dog spends long hours alone, and seemingly lonely. Tell them you would love the companionship... etc... ASPCA is not technically a no kill shelter by Canadian standards, but they do the best to re-home or foster the dog after it has passed it's temperamental testing. Yes shelters are over run, and many GOOD dogs and cats die each day, it's the price these animals have to pay due to irresponsible pet owners and back yard breeders :(

Since you mentioned this dog was a pit-bull you can try contacting this website here and see if they are able to send someone out to investigate or they may have a better resource for you to go with.

[email protected]
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2011, 02:46 PM

The shelter isn't going to put down a cruelty case right away... they're going to give citations to the owners to feed the dog and give him water and proper housing.

Not all dogs live in homes, but that doesn't mean that he can't have a home himself. Call animal control. Unless the dog is being severely abused and mistreated, they won't take the dog right away.

If it were me, I'd rather have the dog taken in by the shelter and hopefully put in a new home then be miserable on the end of a chain. This whole situation could be a lack of education on taking care of a dog..

The only way the dog will be euthanized upon entrance of the shelter is if he fails a temperament test. The only way you will be able to control the dogs future is if you take the dog yourself and rehome him. Offer that to the PARENTS of the kid who got the dog... They might take you up on it.. Once the dog is in your grasps, contact a rescue. Rescues are no-kill across the board and rehome him that way.

Make the call... Or do something about it. The only bad thing that'll happen is if you sit by and do nothing at all.

May 30, 2011, 08:26 PM
    Comment on Aurora_Bell's post
    I'll check out the pit bull websites... I can't take in the dog or I'll lose my apt. I already have two cats and I feed ferals outside. Thanks for your reply.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2011, 12:50 AM

If your friendly with your neighbours go over there and say something, or offer to walk to dog, give him a good feed and lots of attention before you bring him back, praise the boy ( I realise he's doing very little, but praise he will listen too, what he's doing wrong will only get his back up) for all he is doing for the dog and offer to help train him and ( train the boy at the same time to care for the dog).

You can sit on the sidelines and watch OR you can really help.

Look up dog shows and get the boy interested in showing his dog, the pet experts here know loads about showing dogs and the breeds they can give you loads of tips for training and grooming that you could pass on to the boy.

Jun 17, 2011, 10:10 AM
    Comment on Lucky098's post
    I finally went over there... spent an hour w/the boy. He got a house for him and he's not chaining him up. He showed me to new leash and says he knows it's imp to keep water there all day... when the weather gets too hot he's putting him in the basement where it's cool. He's got him out a lot more, I see this every day. The problem
    Unsolved is still, the dog is alone almost all day and all night. He said his father won't allow the dog to be in the
    House but allow the basement and eventually the garage. This is sad. I think being alone is torture but he seems to have genuine feelings for the dog.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2011, 10:32 AM

Here's the deal.

This dog needs help. Yes the boy is going to take care of it now, but eventually he'll go back to his old ways. I say steal the dog. Maybe no one here will agree, but if your not going to call animal control on a neglected dog- find a home for it. Pit bulls can be nasty dogs if not trained right (dont get me wrong, I love them and someday want to own one but.. ), this dog is going to attack someday (not maybe, he will without proper training), and then it will be killed, and probably not with a needle, it will probably be shot, and it will probably need to be shot numerous times, I've seen it, for some reason they can't seem to kill the dog with one shot.

So save the dog now, or watch it maul or kill someone, maybe even a small child, and then watch it be killed.

Honestly do what you want, but pit bulls are strong headed and need a strong person to train them, a young boy is not that person! Maybe give him a poodle, they can do less damage.

Jun 17, 2011, 10:50 AM
    Comment on Emily94's post
    It is hardly unlikely that I would enter their house illegally to get to their deck to steal a dog I cann't bring into my
    Home (I have cats)... he is meeting someone in the park who is a trainer, so he's learning.

Jun 17, 2011, 10:52 AM
    I mean, hardly likely... without getting my head shot off or the police called... by one of the eight children living there
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2011, 11:13 AM

Good then the police can deal with the neglected dog. Training really isn't going to help if the boy doesn't do it at home, which I doubt everyone in the family will, so it's a waste of time.

Jun 24, 2011, 05:24 AM
    You probably live in a small town because the police here don't come unless you say there's gun involved or a
    Beating... when my car was being stolen and I saw it from the window and called the police they said they would come.. they did, in an hour and the car was long gone. The family is getting better. They are allowing the dog
    To go into the yard freely... the have a dog house (but it's not for cold weather) now and he's no longer tied to
    The deck. The houses are attached here so each yard is enclosed and extends from the back of each house.
    To get there, you have to go into the house first.
    Dogs Expert

Jun 24, 2011, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear things are improving.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 24, 2011, 04:42 PM

I say steal the dog.
    Emily! We do not condone illegal activity on this site! No matter what!

I was very close to giving you a reddie, but I'll give you a warning instead. The next post I see recommending illegal activity will be reported and neg'd.

You know better! :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Animal Abuse [ 3 Answers ]

What recourse is available when a dog is constantly left outside all day in sub-zero temperatures? I does not appear to have any means for shelter. Several concerned neighbours have lodged complaints, however, it appears that nothing specific has been done to assist this animal who is obviously...

Animal abuse [ 4 Answers ]

Heey I'm in middle school and I hate animal abusers I want to do something but there is bothing a middle school kid can do... :( I want to help those poor innocent animals sooo bad but I don't know what a middle school kid can do...

Animal abuse - why is it OK? [ 9 Answers ]

Why is it OK for a person to beat, mutilate, mame, and kill on innocent animal? Why are there not stiffer punishments for those who do these things. It has been widely proven that those who abuse animals will eventually do it to humans. So why not slap a harsh punishment on them now instead of...

Is this animal abuse? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a neighbor that don't feed his dog and don't give him water I always do it because I feel bad for the poor thing he is always crying from starvation and thirst he looks like the owner use him for fighting because he is all scared up and two days ago he was running loose on the street and I...

View more questions Search