Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ReadytoSell Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2011, 09:35 PM
    Can a homeowner sue another homeowner for criminal activity in Texas -?
    I'm a homeowner. I have been having problems with a renter one house down from me. The police have been involved on several occasions. The renter's son has been arrested 3 times for burglarizing homes in our neighborhood, the horrible part is the homeowner is the renter's sister. Can I sue the homeowner to force the tenants to move?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 30, 2011, 03:02 AM
    Texas ยง 125.0015. COMMON NUISANCE. (a) A person who maintains a place to which persons habitually go for the following purposes and who knowingly tolerates the activity and furthermore fails to make reasonable attempts to abate the activity maintains a common nuisance:
    (1) discharge of a firearm in a public place
    (2) reckless discharge of a firearm
    (3) engaging in organized criminal activity as a member of a combination
    (4) delivery, possession, manufacture, or use of a controlled substance in violation of Chapter 481, Health and Safety Code
    (5) gambling, gambling promotion, or communicating gambling information
    (6) prostitution, promotion of prostitution, or aggravated promotion of prostitution
    (7) compelling prostitution
    (8) commercial manufacture, commercial distribution, or commercial exhibition of obscene material
    (9) aggravated assault
    (10) sexual assault
    (11) aggravated sexual assault
    (12) robbery
    (13) aggravated robbery
    (14) unlawfully carrying a weapon
    (15) murder
    (16) capital murder

I don't know what a 'combination' is in #3, but I see it used in conjunction with the word gang a lot. Note that burglary isn't on the list. You can sue as an individual or the AG can sue, but you may lose without evidence of any of these more serious crimes on the list. Your city/town may have nuisance laws that transcend these.
    You might want to get the neighborhood organized with a petition of sorts, first to present to the homeowner, second the town. Also talk to the police, who may or may not be willing to tell you if the home was searched and drugs and/or weapons found.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 30, 2011, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ReadytoSell View Post
    ... The renter's son has been arrested 3 times for burglarizing homes in our neighborhood, ...
    There is a remedy for this. It's called prison.

Next time he is arrested ask the prosecutor to oppose bail because you and your neighbors are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    ''a place to which persons habitually go for the following purposes ..."
    The idea of this sort of a statute is to shut down dens of iniquity. Places where criminals congregate to meet up, organize, and plan their nefarious activities.

The neighbor's premises are not such a place.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 30, 2011, 09:28 AM

But no there is little you can do, you can only sue if they have damaged or caused harm to you

May 30, 2011, 11:18 AM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    Thanks for the help! I will check with my city and try the petition route. I will post updates.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 30, 2011, 11:22 AM
    I got to agree about the nefarious activities. But it doesn't hurt to know what's written. Your best bet is your town. And if all of the people who were broken into got 300' ROs, the thief could be arrested just for being outside.

May 30, 2011, 02:48 PM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    Excuse my ignorance, but what's 300 ROs? Thanks
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 30, 2011, 04:25 PM

I believe "300' ROs" would be restraining orders prohibiting the people against whom they are written from being within 300 feet of certain places.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a homeowner sue another homeowner because of their tenants [ 2 Answers ]

I rent from a home owner. And we been having problems with our neighbor across the street who is a home owner, The police where sent to my residence a couple times due to my mother who is bipolar and is not allowed there any more and for my brother whom was visiting. Now the neighbor across the...

My liability be as the homeowner? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to put a new roof on my house. I know of a crew of school teachers that do roofs on the side. They do not carry insurance. Would I then become the general contractor and be liable for any damages or leaks? Can I ask them to fix the problem if I knew up front that they didn't carry...

Homeowner Wants Tenant Out! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Ask Me: I am the sole owner of a home in Philadelphia, PA. who recently broke up with a man that resides there as well. He is unable to pay the mortgage as he promised and it is costing me. How do I evict him legally as he hold no leases agreement or anything?

Working in DC, voting and Homeowner in Texas [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My wife and I own our home in Texas, a community property state. We are both licensed to drive and registered to vote in Texas. She works full time in Texas. I have recently been transferred to DC to work. Apart from my income at work, I also have a military pension. Additionally, together...

Homeowner liability [ 20 Answers ]

As a homeowner renting out a room, can my roommate sue me if she has a slip and fall type accident on my property?

View more questions Search