Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

May 29, 2011, 08:14 PM
    1996 Blazer. Brakes go to the floor.
    Again as the title suggests, the brake pedal goes straight to the floor. First things that come to mind are:

1. Master Cylinder
    2. Power Booster
    3. Air in lines
    4. Break in lines (leak)
    5. Caliper Pistons stuck open

Now, I will go into detail why I think certain ones will be eliminated but again, I am not a pro, just an enthusiast.

1. Master cylinder. There are no wet spots near, on, leading in, going out of the master cylinder. It's pushing fluid fine through the resevoire.

2. Power Booster. The symptoms of a bad power booster are the opposite of what's happening to me. If the power booster was bad, wouldn't the brakes be super HARD to push?

3. Air in lines. Pumping the brakes doesn't help. Neither does complete runout of fluid and refill.

4. This, I believe, is the culprit. I refill the reservoir every 2 days. It it bone dry after 2 days. So where is the fluid going. LEAK!

6. The wear on the right side is 100% (meaning the pads are gone, steel on steel) while the pads on the left are 80% (recently changed) and the rotar is good. If anything the piston almost seems to be locked in the closed position not open.

One small detail I forgot to mention. When the brake did go out, there was a puddle of brake fluid on and around the front right tire. So... I am betting leak.

My question is, is there something I am over looking?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 29, 2011, 08:23 PM
    No. I agree with your assessment.

I would clamp off the RF brake line with a pair of long nose Vise Grips, covered with fuel line. Either install a remanufactured caliper or rebuild your existing one. Be sure to remove the caliper pins, clean them with a rag, and coat them with silicone grease. After reinstalling the caliper, completely bleed the brake system (RR, LF, LR, RF).

When you replace brake pads, you always want to do both wheels at the same time.

Calipers will leak when the pistons are hyper-extended, as it sounds like the situation on the RF.

This link should help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1618425

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1996 GMC / Chevy S10 Blazer Steering Wheel Removal [ 2 Answers ]

I need to remove the steering wheel on a 1996 GMC S10 Blazer with tilt. I am already familiar with disabling and removing the air bag, and removing the nut that holds the steering wheel to the column. Chevy has a special puller to remove the wheel. My question is, can I use a generic puller...

1994 Honda Accord, brakes go to floor [ 1 Answers ]

There is no fluid leakage at Master or wheel cylinders, but brakes go to floor. Pads are still in good shape. What the deal?

Brakes lights staying on 2000 blazer [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 2000 blazer that the brake lights are staying on after I start it.I have replaced the brake swicth and it fixed it for 1 day,then it started all over again.also I can pull the key out of it and touch the brake and the radio and power windows will work .any help :)you can give me would be...

View more questions Search